PDA

View Full Version : uata133 pci RAID upgrade slow

07-19-2002, 01:57 PM
I have a dual G4-500 that I just added a SIIG uata133 pci card. It runs great on OSX with a single uata66 drive that came with the computer. I just bought 2 uata133 maxtor 40gb drives and hooked them up with raid 0, and it is kinda slow.

I used OSx partition utility to partiion the single volume into 4 partitions. It seems to run just a little bit slower that the single ata66 drive hooked up to it. Should I get rid of the partitions?

I have a 896 RAM pc-100, and DVD-RAM. What the heck is so slow about it? How do I see if it is utilizing UATA133 and how do I view its transfer rate?

TZ
07-19-2002, 03:05 PM
One drive per channel - did you remove the original drive and put it back on the native bus? ATA doesn't like having more than one drive in use on each channel. Some feel that ATA RAID isn't as safe or reliable yet on some cards to trust completely.

There are benchmark utilities - there is a link on www.xlr8yourmac.com (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com) about a tool recently ported to OS X you might want to try.

I would not mix OS X Disk Utility partitions and whatever you used (the hardware raid0 switch?) to initialize and create the RAID to begin with. It might create confusion or an extra layer, or be invalid. Be sure to test it with Disk First Aid, Disk Warrior, Drive10.

One good benchmark is to take a large file, a large folder of many small files, and try each for real world idea.

07-19-2002, 03:18 PM
I do have one harddrive on each channel, and no other hardrives hooked up on the motheroard. Just 1 harddrive each channel. I will check into the utility you recommended, and will eliminate all partitions.

When I get the results, i will post them for others to view.

thanks

ricks
07-19-2002, 04:51 PM
?I have a couple of computers with the ATA133 hardware RAID and only once did I have a big fall off in performance. I ended up re-initializing the drive(s) to return it to full speed.

?And again, in agreement with your strategy I have partitioned that array on each computer into a couple of volumes using OSX Disk Setup. I run a OS9 partition and a OSX partition on my B&W. I run backup duties on the RAID on my QS as well as a test installation of OSX Server. I haven't had an issue with speed since my initial testing.

I will try and run some tests using Disk Basher and see how my arrays are performing, we can then compare notes and see if the darn things are working up to snuff!

?You can get Disk Basher from Apple at:
ftp://ftp.apple.com/developer/Tool_Chest/Testing_-_Debugging/Performance_too
ls/CHUD_2.0.0b17.pkg.tar.gz

Rick