PDA

View Full Version : Acard sleep issues

07-18-2002, 01:16 AM
Here's my deal... I bought a Acard ATA133 (non-raid) PCI card so that I could take advantage of the faster speeds with a new 80gig drive, instead of having to use it as a slave drive on the built-in ATA66 cable.

Now I have no sleep mode whatsoever, with the Acard in, even though it says "True OSX support" on the box.

scenario 1) With both of my drives attached to the new card the computer will go to sleep(fan still on however) but will fail to wake if in deep sleep/overnight.
scenario 2) One drive on the built-in bus and the other on the PCI card, selecting sleep in the apple menu causes the disks spin down, monitor shuts off then everything wakes right back up.
Updating the drivers did not solve the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I would hate to have to return the card and return to the slower speeds.
Would I be dramatically shortening the life of my drives/system by leaving it up 24/7 server-style?

G4 450DP 896mb 40gigWD 80gigWD 10.1.5

kaye
07-18-2002, 10:50 AM
elit,

I have the Acard HardRAID card, 6880M, in a G4-800DP. My config:

Slot-1 (AGP) GF3
Slot-2 ATTO UL3D
Slot-3 ATTO UL3D
Slot-4 Acard 6880M, 2x 120GXP 40GB in HardRAID mode
Slot-5 Initio Bluenote

Apple System Profiler tells me, System Profile tab, under Hardware overview, that "Attributes: Low power mode disabled because of PCI cards in slots: SLOT-4,SLOT-5".

I personally don't sleep drives, ATA or SCSI. The Gurus Supremo, Magician, does not recommend it. That's my reason. I've tried it just to see quite awhile back but on another machine. What I found on that test was I could only recover via the esc key. k

ricks
07-18-2002, 11:30 AM
Hi ya Eli,

Glad to see you made it here. I see Kaye jumped in with some superior information for you.

You also mentioned 24/7 issues which Kaye didn't really address. Now this is solely my opinion and I look forward to seeing if everyone else will jump in with their's. I think a drive and the entire computer will last longer left on 24/7.

Leaving a computer on keeps temperatures stable and especially with a UNIX machine it leaves the OS doing its housekeeping uninterrupted. This will absolutely show up with a more stable OS on your UNIX based machine.

?I like having fast host cards. I don't miss auto sleep whatsoever.

Again, welcome to the forums.

Rick

07-18-2002, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the replies
I guess I will just leave the system up and not worry about sleep. I'd rather have the speed than keep tinkering with powersaving.

What about a laptop running OSX? How does one keep the UNIX "housekeeping" up when sleeping and shutting down for long periods are necessary? I know this is not the right forum for this, just came to mind.

Thanks again
eli