PDA

View Full Version : G3 233/now G4z 400 60gig HD boot problem

joefilms
07-01-2002, 07:51 PM
I've purchased 768mgs ram, 60gig Maxtor HD and now a G4 400 MPe Zif upgrade from ya all. They have worked fine until I installed the zif upgrade.

Here is the problem.

Everytime I power up, I get a flashing questionmark on a disk icon. I can only get it to "see" the hard drive if I press and hold the option and command keys at start up.

Is there a final process/key combo or button I need to press in order for the hard drive to be recognized at start up?

thanks,
joe

ricks
07-01-2002, 08:23 PM
Hi Joe,

?Once you are up and running you need to go into your Startup Drive control panel and make sure your drive is selected. The question mark is the bootstrap program searching for a system folder.

Rick

joefilms
07-02-2002, 11:20 PM
Well, that didn't work. I've tried that, and it SHOULD. But doesn't.

What happens when I power on the computer is my monitor that is hooked up to the
computer monitor output brings up a white screen, sits there for a few long seconds, and then starts displaying this message "no bootable HFS partition" over and over and over, then it displays "can't open" over and over, THEN the second monitor on my graphics card output comes up with a diskette symbol with a flashing "?".

Any thoughts?

Joe.
p.s.-I can still reinstall my OS with relatively minimal hair loss. lost most of it on the initial problem a month ago. I'd rather not, though.

ricks
07-03-2002, 12:05 AM
?I think I'd boot into the installer disk and run Drive First Aid off the CD. It's in the utilities folder on the CD. Sounds like a index corruption. Normally I'd just say, Disk Warrior is your answer. Absolutely great at resolving volume structure issues on hard drives. Try the Drive First Aid first and see if that finds anything.

?If First Aid doesn't do it then either DW ro a reformat and new install will build a new index that doesn't need repair at that point. DW is worth having to prevent drive problems.

Rick

Disk Warrior at www.alsoft.com (http://www.alsoft.com)

ricks
07-03-2002, 12:07 AM
?Oh yeah, one other thing. You can run your installer and install the same OS right over the top of your current OS. It might just fix anything that is corrupted. It will leave everything in place and just re-do the system files.

Rick

joefilms
07-03-2002, 10:08 AM
Thanks. I'll try those.

joe