PDA

View Full Version : Power Mac 6500/250

jimstef
06-22-2002, 10:00 PM
i came across a 6500/250 power mac with a ide hard drive bus. do i need a mac compatiable drive and if not how do i use a ide drive as far as jumpers etc. also is it possible to set this machine to boot from the scsi bus instead.thank you ahead of time for any help.jimstef@earthlink.net

mrgregster
06-25-2002, 08:24 AM
jimstef-
If you have come across a computer with no hard drive, you probably have no idea whether it works or not. Caution is advised before spending any amount of money trying to get it working. Not sure, but I think the upgade path for this machine may lead nowhere.
As for IDE, all IDE drives are created equal, whether for PC or Mac. Only difference is how they are formatted. Most IDE drives come from the factory set to either MASTER or SINGLE, either of which should work.
You will need a Mac OS CD to start up and initialize the disc. And to install software.
See if you can borrow an IDE drive from someone if possible. Make sure the machine is operational before shelling out the cash.
Not sure, but it may be possible to boot a SCSI drive from the Zip or CD cables? This machine was not designed to be upgraded.
Hope this helps
-Gregster

rwm
06-25-2002, 05:41 PM
I hear the same.

ricercar
06-25-2002, 06:07 PM
Here's a site chock full of 6400/6500 upgrade information.
http://209.198.61.236/zone6400/index.html