PDA

View Full Version : Promise UltraTek ATA 66?

Forwardslash
04-15-2002, 10:11 AM
Hi everyone,

Does anyone on the forum have an Ultratek ATA 66 card? I need to see what it's PCI id is...reason being, I am currious wether it is exactly the same as the Pormise ATA 66 card that it is based on.

Please can anyone who has the card take a screenshot with the results from a scan with PCI prober. You can find it here -->
http://www.versiontracker.com/redir.fcgi/kind=1&db=mac&id=3400/pci-prober-2.0.sit.hqx

Thanks,
Tim

Brian Higgins
04-19-2002, 08:04 AM
Yes I have a Ultratek ATA 66 card in my PowerTowerPro. I used PCI prober and the results are:

Vendor ID: Ox105A=4186
DeviceID: 0x4D38=19768
Revision ID=1

Hope this helps,

brian

Forwardslash
04-19-2002, 10:06 AM
Thanks for your help Brian.

It seems as though the info you gave me is exactly the same as the promise card.

Can you give me the name of the pci card. Mine says pci105a,4d33. What does the Ultratek say?

Many thanks,
Tim

trag
04-23-2002, 10:52 PM
ForwardSlash, I imagine you are trying to convert the Promise card into a VST UltraTech/66. It is doable, but not as simple as you may be hoping. There are several resistors that must be move, the 66 MHz metal can oscillator on the Promise needs to come off and getting the VST firmware into the Promise Flash chip is non-trivial.

The VST flasher checks for a previous version of the VST firmware before it agrees to flash the card. It will not flash a card with the Promise firmware installed, nor will it flash a card with a blank flash chip.

There was some discussion of this a few years ago on the Mac news groups. I'd try a google/dejanews search in comp.sys.mac.hardware.* on likely keywords. I think a fellow named Peter had the most to say on the topic. It may also have been in comp.sys.mac.misc or comp.sys.mac.system.

Also note that OWC is working with the folks who wrote the original firmware for VST (FirmTek) and they're rather vigorous about complaining if you violate their copyright. Personally, it's no skin off my nose as the FirmTek person (not George, Geoge is cool) adamantly refuses to admit that there are either firmware bugs or incompatibilities in the card that I've amply demonstrated. They rarely manifest but they are existant.

The easiest way to accomplish your goal is to get a VST card and do a side by side comparison with a Promise card. Of course, at that point you would already own a VST card and probably the bundled copy of SoftRAID as well (SoftRAID rocks and is worth much more than the cost of the VST card) so why would you need to do the conversion except for fun?

You'd still need to figure out a way around the firmware flasher, though. I'll give you a hint. It involves a DIP socket, two Flash chips and a willingness to switch the chip with the power on.

Brian Higgins
04-24-2002, 09:56 AM
Tim,
The Apple System Profiler says that card model is PDC 20262 and Cardvendor ID is 105A. Is this what you want? Later on this week I will be installing another IDE drive on my PTP and at that time I can look for additional info on the actual card if you still need the info.

Regards

Brian

trag
04-24-2002, 02:22 PM
Tim, I posted a Pict (screen shot) of the PCI-Prober results at http://www.io.com/~trag . The file name is VST_probe.

06-17-2002, 06:41 AM
Hi,

here is a complete name reg. listing of my UltraTek-66.
hope it helps.
The Dr.
http://powermac.de.vu/Name Reg.Output