PDA

View Full Version : ATA IV hard drives

UrbanNomad
05-31-2002, 08:18 PM
Hi , I'm looking at putting a new hard drive in my G4 400, and I see that the local suppliers have ATA-100, ATA-133, and ATA IV drives.
The size (80G) and rpm (7200) I want seems to be only available in the ATA IV.
Can I use these drives with the stndard IDE in the G4?

ricks
05-31-2002, 09:27 PM
UN,

The only IV I can think of is the Barracuda IV which is an ATA100 IDE drive. This is a fine drive that is cooler running, quieter and more reliable than just about any other drive you can buy.

Any ATA66, ATA100 or ATA133 drive will perform as well on your G4 as on any other computer or host card. The motherboard host is ATA66 and any ATA drive should work well. Install the drives with one drive as Master and one as Slave. Put the master on the end connector on the cable with the slave on the inner connector.

Hope that helps some.

Rick

UrbanNomad
06-02-2002, 12:01 AM
Thanks ricks
The drive is indeed a barracuda IV, and I have purchased it after eventually finding "ATA IV" listed as a supported standard on the Sonnet ATA100 IDE PCI card specs. I figured since I'v already got 2 drives in the G4 already, an aditional IDE bus would be better than replacing the smaller drive. It's nice to hear I've bought a good thing.
A further question has arisen as a result, I was told by 1 person, that the AGP G4 400's power supply can only support 4 harddrives max, is this true?

rwm
06-02-2002, 06:21 PM
I know of a few people that have put 6 drives in G4's. I am not sure which G4 or the power supply.

If you have other add on's as PCI cards for graphics etc., or other things like printers, scanners.... Can use power.

I f your just looking at hard drives I believe your ok. As long as the ventalation is good.

Randy