PDA

View Full Version : IDE drives in G4

redress
04-27-2002, 08:13 AM
I have a G4 667 with 5 external SCSI drives and two internal IDE drives. Is it possible to put in more internal IDE drives without adding another card? All my slots are full. Incidentally, Ricks, OSX is now operative on the SCSI drives though I haven't tried to boot from them, and I partitioned one of the IDE drives so I now can start up from either internally. Everything now appears on the OSX desktop with the exception of my ACER 2740S scanner, which doesn't appear on the OS 9.2.2 desktop either, but which works fine on 9.2.2. Thanks..Tony Austin.

Damien
04-27-2002, 09:27 AM
Well you can put a drive in the zip bay (if you have no zip) buut that bus up there is a slow bus and you should stick with a 5400 rpm drive so that it does not get too hot and burn up because that bay is under cooled for a hard drive

redress
04-27-2002, 09:33 AM
Thanks, Damien, but I'd really like to put one on a fast bus, and I guess that an IDE bus can only accomodate two drives. Is that so? Therre's room at the bottom of the case for at least three more drives, but only one more power connector. Do I take it that I'm SOL as far as what I want to do is concerned unless I use the bus for the Zip? I have an external Zip running off the same SCSI drive that my scanner is on, an Miles Bluenote. Tony

ricks
04-27-2002, 11:34 AM
HI ya Tony,

Just tellin' ya what ya already know.

IDE allows 2 drives per channel. You have 2 channels, one for drives and one for removable's. The hard drive bus is a 'Ultra DMA66' bus for high speed hard drives and the other bus is 'Enhanced IDE' I haven't found any specs for how fast the IDE bus is, I would suspect not as fast as the Ultra DMA66 though.

You might try VueScan shareware drivers for your scanner. YOu can find it at VersionTracker or www.hamrick.com. (http://www.hamrick.com.) Almost no manufacturers have finished their OSX drivers for scanners yet. VueScan supports a whole bunch of scanner types even if your scanner isn't listed. Free trial use is allowed to test. (VueScan works in OSX and OS9.

Power connectors are no problem, you can get a 'Y' power adapter from any computer parts house or radio shack. No problem running 2 drives off a split power cord.

I think I'd look at alternatives to your Bluenote since you're running out of space. Install the zip internally and maybe replace the scanner with USB or Firewire. Just pointing out the obvious ways to spend too much on your computer I guess.

Rick

Damien
04-27-2002, 01:22 PM
Isn't E-IDE 1/2 the speed of ATA33? This info surfaced in the black pit of my memory but I have no idea where it came from...

redress
04-27-2002, 05:39 PM
Rick: Thanks for the reply. Already spoke to you about my problems on the other forum, and have licked all of them thanks to you . I haven't even tried the Vuescan OSX driver yet, though I own the software. I feel sure it will work. You'll be tickled to know that everything now shows up in OSX though I've not tried to boot from a scsi OSX drive yet...Tony

ricks
04-27-2002, 05:55 PM
That's the kind of reply we like! Great. I'm glad to help any time, you knew most of it anyway, just needed a place to shoot the ideas back and forth.

Have a good one,

Rick

UrbanNomad
05-24-2002, 09:06 PM
Hi, I have a question that extends this topic.
I have a G4 450 OS9.04 which currently has 2 x IDE drives (the original 10G and another 20G 7200rpm Quantum drives). I'm wanting to put another IDE drive, 7200rpm in. Speed is an issue since I'll be editing video on it, so I don't want to use the "slow" bus (thanks for that advice). I also have a 2906 SCSI card and an old 3G SCSI drive in there, but SCSI drives are still expensive and the 50pin type are getting rare.

I've looked around and I can get a Sonnet card that supports 4 drives for a reasonable price, but talking to a local Mac retailer, he suggested the power supply of the G4 would only support 4 drives in total. Is this true?

Obviously this isn't an immediate problem but later on I'd probably want to add more drives. He was saying I'd be better off adding external firewire drives. but that seems to be a more expensive option if I add more than 1 drive.
What are people's thoughts on this.