PDA

View Full Version : 233 G3 internal ATA1 ID=1 HD no mount!

Markus
05-16-2002, 12:51 AM
I have a beige 233 MHz G3 upgraded from 233 MHz to a 500 MHz G4 with a ZIF, System 8.6, and 768 MB of RAM.

Years ago I replaced the original 4 GB Western Digital HD by a 60 GB Maxtor HD in the internal ATA0 id=0 (master). At around that time I believe that I upgraded from a Rev.A to a Rev.B ROM, so I could eventually add another internal IDE drive.

Now I'm trying to add that other drive as a slave on the internal ATA1, where id=0 is the CD (master). For the ATA1 I replaced the original "single" ribbon cable with a "dual" ribbon cable. The CD is on the first of the ribbon cable connectors and my old Western Digital HD (with System 8.0 or 8.1, and perhaps also the old, non-compact Mac drive format) is on the second of the ribbon connectors.

Using Apple System Profiler 2.4.4, the CD seems to come up fine (I've since mounted a CD and it indeed works), and the WD HD shows up on the ATA1 but it is not mounted. I assume that since it shows up, that means that the ATA1 really is ready to let me use two devices. Any suggestions for how to get the WD HD to mount? I would think that System 8.6 can read an old Mac-formatted drive with System 8.0 or 8.1.

Note that the first time I connected the WD HD the machine wouldn't boot at all (it normally takes over a minute to boot), so I shut it down, removed the ribbon cable from the WD and reconnected it the other way. I assume that I connected the ribbon cable correctly to the CD.

Not until I can get the WD HD working will I buy a new 120 GB HD to put in its place. Suggestions?

lasvegas
05-16-2002, 02:37 AM
What driver was written to the WD drive? Have you updated the driver with Drive Setup, if that's the driver it used?

Markus
05-16-2002, 09:38 AM
The WD HD was formatted by Mac when I bought the computer in 1997. I assume, therefore, that it was formatted with Drive Setup.

When, as you suggested, I called up the OS 8.6 Drive Setup (v.1.7.2, dating to 1999), the only option it gave was to initialize. How do I update the driver without destroying the information on the drive?

ricks
05-16-2002, 11:08 AM
Might be worth double checking the revision number in Apple System Profiler, just to be sure ya know.

$77D.40F2 revision 1
$77D.45F1 revision 2
$77D.45F2 revision 3

Rick

lasvegas
05-17-2002, 02:05 AM
How do I update the driver without destroying the information on the drive?

Click to highlight the drive and then select Update Driver from the Functions menu. This will re-write the driver partitions onto the drive. I believe this feature has been available in every version of Drive Setup.