PDA

View Full Version : Partitions On ATA Slave Acting Up

Bri
05-14-2002, 01:43 PM
On an 867 G4 I setup a scsi-3 accellerator and hard drive that I bought from MacGurus. I also installed a new cuda ATA 80 gig slave, and divided it up with 8 bootable partitions. Whenever I start up from one of those partitions it seems to choke as I do simple tasks like go online or actually run anything at all. More specifically, what I mean by choke is: I hear the big fan kick in. (At least that's what it sounds like).

I used HDT 4.5.2 to setup the partitions. Seemed like a straightforward process¨÷

Is it a bad idea to use the slave for multiple partitions? I'm running a Pro Tools rig and I want to separate my audio work from my video/graphics work.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

brian

ricks
05-14-2002, 04:57 PM
Hi Brian,

I can't imagine that partitioning would cause you problems. I have two Barracuda IVs and 2 IBM 60GXPs in my 867. From a bus standpoint there is no difference between Master and Slave, only a ID for the drive, no difference between them when it comes to installing a system folder at all.

My Cudas are on a RAID card with 2 partitions, one a backup for my OSX Users Drive (I separated the Applications and files from OSX boot volume) and one as a boot OSX Server volume.

The IBM drives are on the ATA66 motherboard bus and each are partitioned into 4 volumes. 2 have OSX and 3 have versions of OS9 and Classic on them.

Partitions shouldn't matter at all. When you get to OSX you will most likely want to limit the number of partitions that you use to separate your files, Unix doesn't really benefit from separations, it's actually easier to find and arrange your data on less partitions with the UNIX directory system.

You shouldn't be hearing a fan noise just because you are accessing your CUDA. I never do. Something could very well be bad with it. Better to do something about it now than after it dies and you can't get your data backed up.

Recommend that you contact Seagate and figure out how to backup the data and get a replacement for the Cuda. You might make sure the noise you're hearing is from the Cuda, but if so, get it replaced.

Rick

Bri
05-15-2002, 01:19 PM
Thank you for your assistance.

I'm going to try a new drive and pull the slave. I'm also going pull the master and see what happens when I switch it out.

Also, I upgraded to 9.2.2 on the slave and I'm going to see if that helps at all.

Question: how many drives do you suppose one can safely install in this rig? Do you feel completely comfortable with 4? Do you know of anyone who's gone to 5 and beyond?

ricks
05-15-2002, 03:32 PM
I would guess that six cool drives could be stacked in double brackets. I know of a couple of people who have 4 on the bottom and one in the zip spot and one on top of the Superdrive box for a total of six. The top spot probably requires extra cooling.

I ran five for a while during raid testing. I had two of the stack-able brackets and a single in the bottom, I had no problem but I am certain I was using five REALLY cool running drives and I didn't do this long term.

Apple intended that four drives have sufficient cooling as long as they are current IDE drives in the stack. I don't think they intended you stack hotter SCSI drives. That said I think scsi Barracudas and AtlasIIIs are as cool or cooler than most IDE drives on the market today.

Running more than the standard four drives allowed by Apple is entirely in the realm of possible but the onus is on the installer/owner to make sure you get enough cooling not to cook anything. (including the motherboard)

Who knows, there should be room for seven or eight if you replace a side cover with a gas powered leaf blower. http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/tongue.gif

Rick