PDA

View Full Version : Not booting

Tysonu74
05-11-2002, 02:03 AM
Heres what i got. Im running a 7500/250 with 512meg ram.it currently is running off the stock 500meg hard drive with an older 1.9g seagate as an added storage site. Ive gotten ahold of an adaptec ide card model no. 2940u2b scsi-2 lvd with a western digital 4.6g drive that is partitioned as 2g,2g,60m. My problem arose when I replaced the stock drive with the new 4.6. It refuses to boot off of it. It will boot off the older seagate on the original scsi chain. the western drive is set as 0 in the scsi chain and the seagate is set as 4. both have the same system files in them as they were copied from the original. Help?
EDIT: just some more info The system profiler will see the drives and i can save to and from the western.

[This message has been edited by Tysonu74 (edited 11 May 2002).]

Doc
05-11-2002, 02:16 PM
Hi...

Others with IDE cards in their machines will chime in with comments on booting from them rather than off the SCSI bus but just as a quick check - is the System Folder on your IDE drive a "blessed" one and have you set it as the Start-Up disk? It could be that as you transferred it over, that the copy is "unblessed" and thus not bootable.

Chris

TZ
05-11-2002, 03:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>adaptec ide card model no. 2940u2b scsi-2 lvd<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You need a 68-pin cable and terminator to use this SCSI card. Or did you use an adapter? Termination has to come from a proper plug and not from jumper. What did you use to format the drive and what OS?

Also, the version of the startup disk control panel. While copying should work, the system folder should have been at some point created and installed for that machine. Another thing to verify is that it has the 1.2 firmware applied. Most do, but not all.

Gregory

Doc
05-11-2002, 07:32 PM
Oh - I mis-read that note...

I think you meant that you have an Adaptec *PCI* SCSI card in that machine...

If you do, then yes - definitely check for SCSI conflicts - i.e. termination, ID numbers, etc...

Chris

ricks
05-11-2002, 09:54 PM
Tysonu,

2940U2B, great card, wish I still had a couple of them.

being a 68pin LVD card, as Gregory said, you need to pay close attention to cables and proper termination. It is possible to run 50 pin narrow drives on a 68pin card but you need to do it right if it's to work.

If you have a 50 pin drive and a 68 pin adapter, that adapter MUST terminate the 18 wires that are not connected to the drive. Those are data wires and all 36 data wires must be properly terminated.(18 by the adapter and 18 by the drive) This means using a high quality adapter that will handle those 18 unused wires as well as hook up to your drive. You then must also enable termination on the drive if it's the only drive on that scsi chain.

If you are hooking up a 68 pin single ended drive to the 2940U2B then you will have to enable termination on that drive. THis is the simplest method, but there aren't many 68pin SE drives around.

If you hook up a 68 pin LVD drive you must install an active terminator after the last drive. No LVD drives have termination built in.

If you don't know which drive you have post the model number and we'll try to help. SCSI gets a bit hairy sometimes.

Rick

Tysonu74
05-11-2002, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the replys. An answer to rics post the drive is a western digital enterprise 4360. Model no. WDE4360-0007b1 with jumper from pins 27-28, 23-24, 21-22. also says "Single-ended Ultra fast wide scsi-3 interface. How does this card compair to the miles2 card? It was saved from a broken B&W g3

[This message has been edited by Tysonu74 (edited 11 May 2002).]

ricks
05-12-2002, 12:32 AM
Tysonu,

Sounds like the right drive. I would pull the 27-28 jumper, all Mac host cards supply the power for termination, no need for a drive to ever do so. That shouldn't cause your inability to boot off of it.

The 2940U2B is an Adaptec card that was OEM for Apple, all support came from Apple. A fine card that compares reasonable close to the Miles2. Biggest difference is that the Miles has many current firmware updates that keep it a little more compatible with newer software and hardware.

Checking the system folder to make sure it has the blessed MacOS symbol is one possibility as Doc pointed out. I would also run a few drive diagnostic tests if you can. Disk First Aid of course is the only one that comes with the OS. I prefer Disk Warrior from www.alsoft.com. (http://www.alsoft.com.) Great drive utility.

I take it you do not have a installer CD? What OS are you running? You might try downloading an update from Apple if your running an OS that has a free update, might fix the problem.

There also is a firmware upgrade available for the 2940U2B. You can find it on the macgurus ftp site in the Apple stuff folder or from Apple or versiontracker.com.

Any of these could solve the boot issue by fixing an as yet undetermined problem.

If I had my druthers I'd say do a clean install of the OS off a CD. Let us know if there's any way to help.

Rick

Tysonu74
05-12-2002, 01:33 AM
The system folder isnt showing as blessed, ill wait till monday to get the CD from my desk at work. I really am thankfull for all the help that you all have been. Ill keep you all informed. Im currently running OS8.6.

[This message has been edited by Tysonu74 (edited 12 May 2002).]

Doc
05-12-2002, 08:31 AM
Hi...

You can try re-blessing your System Folder yourself. Here's how to do it...

Open the System Folder and then open the System File that has the suitcase icon. Close the windows and now your System folder should be blessed.

Chris

Tysonu74
05-14-2002, 10:01 PM
Ok ,
Got the drive reloaded with a fresh install. decided to go to 9.1 this time. Switched over to the 4.6 in control panels and rebooted with no luck. The computer sees the drive and I can work off it, save to it and retrive from it. But no boot off it. The drive says not supported in drive set up. what next? By the way I've gotten rid of the partition by taking the drive to work and installing in a g3 and reformating before the 9.1 install.