PDA

View Full Version : 6500 new HD install

steph
05-12-2002, 09:19 PM
So, now I have my new 'cuda IV, and I know how to crack my case open and put the new drive in.

1) should the HD be slave, master or cable select?

2) Is it as simple as switching my startup disk to cd, running drive setup to format the drive, then installing the OS from the cd?

3) Should I replace my g3 accelerator card with the original cache card beforehand?

anything else I should know?
steph

maxguy72
05-13-2002, 12:55 AM
1. It must be master since the 6500 only supports master on the internal IDE. It doesnt support slave unless you habe a PCI ATA/IDE card.

2. Drive setup probably wont work on that drive though I could be wrong. You may have to have some third party utility on a floppy (if any will fit) or zip. Startup off the CD and run the utility off the aforementioned removable media.

3. No need to replace the G3 card. Your 6500 wont be accelerated at all once starting from the CD, but it will still boot.

*But, if you can, I would make a bootable CD of your hard drive which includes the Sonnet extension and any Drive Format utilities that are on your hard drive. This way, you wouldn't need the zip/floppy, you could run the format utility on the new Cuda right off the CD.

lasvegas
05-13-2002, 02:03 AM
I really doubt that Drive Setup will have a problem with that drive. Do try the Master setting first. If the computer does not see the drive, try setting it to Cable Select. That sometimes works.

Yes, it's as easy as your #2 question, but you'll have to reinstall everything including the Sonnett software as well.