PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have good sucess with IBM 120GXP or 60GXP's in a revA BW G3/350 ?

jzkpr
05-07-2002, 04:40 PM
I was able to get an amazing deal on a rev A BW G3.

Prior to getting an ATA/66 upgrade as suggested by Rick, I want to use the onboard IDE controller with my IBM 120GXP drive. Anyone have problems or corruption issues with this drive? I hope not http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks in advance

jzkpr

tmxmnr
05-08-2002, 06:13 AM
Check http://www.xlr8yourmac.com under the drive database. Mike Breeden updates it almost daily I think with reader reports. You can limit by machine, card manufacturer and drive manufacturer.

I just put an UltraTek ATA/66 card in my mom's G3/300 with the stock Quantum 6gb and a Western Digital 30 gb. I only had one problem with the Quantum coming up as unreadable on a start-up which is what I assume they call "drive corruption". I had no data on it so there was no loss and I haven't been able to recreate it since it happened last week after a lot of trying. I learned the hard way this past week about daily back-ups with my QS 733 anyway. No matter what machine you use or what it's "propensity" is for drive corruption, I'd look into a back-up program or try doing it through crontab in Terminal if you are Unix inclined. I think Retrospect is OS X native now and there are one or two other shareware programs (Carbon Copy Cloner, Tri-Back Up).

Anyway my G3 is much improved since the addition of the card and the 7,200 rpm drive. Not a G4 by any means, but for basic computer use, it works just fine.

-Anthony

[This message has been edited by tmxmnr (edited 08 May 2002).]

TZ
05-08-2002, 06:51 AM
I have rev 2 B&W, but have a 60GXP. There is a small program over on xlr8yourmac that will test for data corruption. Of course a PCI IDE controller will run slightly better - not huge with the newest drives. I get 29MB/s (sw) on the native IDE.

Good PC100 or PC133 RAM (8 nanosecond or faster) helps, and there is a lot you can do. Runs OS X very well. If got 4 drives in mine along with G4/500, ATTO scsi, Radeon PCI (2000). 894MB RAM.

One thing I miss is that the B&W's won't boot from FireWire drives. I think Jobs spoke too soon about FW replacing SCSI. Stuff like this, and such remarks, don't win confidence or trust for me.

Gregory