PDA

View Full Version : slow CD reads

tmxmnr
05-01-2002, 08:47 PM
OK, I've never owned a CD-RW drive before so maybe this is normal, but I don't think so.

Stock CD-RW drive in a QS 733, 1 gig RAM, 40 and 60 gig harddrives. It just took the drive 10 minutes to copy a 315 kb file from a disk I burned.

As I write this, I have opened up Drive Utility and the CD drive is making the same odd "spin up, whir, whir, whir, spin-down" sound. It did this when it was copying the 315 kb file for ten minutes

Now that I am at the end of this post, the drive has still not shown up in drive utility and continues to whir.

Is this normal for disks that you burn yourself or did I just not do it right?

Thanks,

Anthony

lasvegas
05-01-2002, 11:28 PM
This could be an indication of a poor quality CD or a scratched disc. I've found a number of generic brand CDs create unreliable discs.

tmxmnr
05-02-2002, 05:20 AM
OK, maybe I'll try some other discs. This disk is a Maxel CD-RW "high speed", 650 MB... it says 4X to 10X certified.

I'll check for damage too, because I used another disk from the same pack afterwards and it worked fine.

Thanks,

Anthony

rwm
05-02-2002, 12:06 PM
During my reading and learning about CD-R and CD-RW's I found that some drives might not like some brand of disk vs. another. There seemed to be no opinion of what CD's were better.

Read this it has some good info... http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/Forum28/HTML/000046.html

Randy