PDA

View Full Version : acard boot trouble

bizna
04-19-2002, 12:46 PM
Hello all,
I recently put an acard 66 into my 9500. I am using it to run a 20 gig maxtor, which is the only drive on my computer now.
Lately, on startup or restart, I have been getting the blinking question mark icon. after several restarts or unplugging the machine for a while I am able to get it to recognize the drive and boot up.
Why would I have this intermittent problem?
Additional info:
I have made sure the proper disk is highlighted in the startup disk control panel.
Also, norton utilities won't see the drive after booting from the cd.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Jason

------------------

lasvegas
04-21-2002, 12:53 AM
If the drive isn't ready when OpenFirmware (Your Mac's boot firmware) initializes the PCI card, it will not be seen. There are a couple of things you can try to improve the chances that the drive will be there on startup:

1) Set the drive to Cable Select mode instead of Master if you have no Slave on the same cable.

2) Turn back on Memory Testing in the Memory control panel. To get to the control, hold Command-Option as you open the memory control panel.

3) Move the ATA card into slot A1 (The uppermost slot).

4) Press the CUDA switch on your motherboard for about 20 seconds if all else fails. This would force your Mac to reevaluate itself on the next startup.

Hope this helps!

[This message has been edited by lasvegas (edited 21 April 2002).]

levelbest
04-23-2002, 12:27 AM
Actually there is another thing that you can do. Make sure you have a good quality cable. I am about to post on another thread about my recent experience with a new SIIG card. Part of my trouble was a poor quality - or bad, cable on one channel. So the drive wouldn't initialize until I tried it on the back channel (not the slave, the back channel)

I am thinking seriously about returning the SIIG and getting a Sonnet and also getting at least one granite cable.

lb

bizna
05-01-2002, 10:51 PM
thanks las vegas, I tried your tips #1,3, and 4 and I am having much better luck booting up. From a cold start I first press the start button, wait 20 seconds or so, then press control+command+start buttons and it usually boots up.
levelbest: I think I already have good cable for the drive.
cheers,
Jason

------------------

[This message has been edited by bizna (edited 01 May 2002).]