PDA

View Full Version : 6500

steph
04-17-2002, 02:10 PM
I have a 6500 250 currently running 8.6. The accelerator is on the way. I have built windoze machines in the past, and their motherboards (from a few years back) could only recognize up to 30 gig. I only have a 4 gig now, but I wanted to maybe stick a new 'cuda IV in there. Is there a gig limitation I should know about?

jmoke
04-17-2002, 02:36 PM
Here is an article from the 6400 zone. It says that a similar machine (Twentieth Anniversary Mac) cannot recognize over 4GB, but 6400/6500 machines have no problem:
http://homepage.mac.com/zone6400/files/mics_mac_info.html#TAM_HD_size_limits

Short answer: No - get the 'Cuda. I hear they are really quiet (that's kind of an oxymoron!)

[This message has been edited by jmoke (edited 17 April 2002).]

ricercar
04-18-2002, 04:07 AM
I read recently that the TAM and 6500 had similar but not identical motherboards. If there is a maximum limit on the 6500 IDE drive size, then it may not be reflected in the TAM (and vice versa).

http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/hr.gif
I hate to respond so far off-topic, but that story about TAMs and >4G drives is not true for all TAMs, and it yanks my chain to see that repeated without rebuttal.

I'm on a 20th Anniversary Mac this instant, with a 30G Fujitsu hard disk. It's working just fine, thank you, and has been for over half a year. Before that it had a 20G and before that a 12G since I replaced the original 2G in 1998. I know other TAM users with similar success stories.

Just because the Woz could not do it doesn't mean it's a hardware or firmware limitation. A 12G Hitachi drive was in my TAM in September 2000, when I used that machine to exchange email with Steve Wozniak. His four TAMs had failed when he installed drives larger than 4G. We were unable to discover why mine worked and his did not, although he had at least one with the exact Sonnet Crescendo G3 accelerator I use. Obviously his mileage varied from mine, but it ain't Truth for All.

[This message has been edited by ricercar (edited 18 April 2002).]

jmoke
04-18-2002, 01:35 PM
R - that's the kind of info people need to see - "not true for all TAMs." I'll post your post in the 6400 zone. So many readers go there for information about their beloved "Alchemy" towers.