PDA

View Full Version : Not Booting from Shut Down

niktu
04-17-2002, 03:30 PM
Hey all, I just installed a new 7200rpm HD on a Dual G4 450Mhz to be the master drive. The old 5400rpm fireball drive is now the slave. For some reason my computer will not fully boot after start up from a shut down. My master mounts but not the slave and then I freeze. After a restart everything mounts okay and all systems go.

What's the deal? I thought I configured the drives correctly. Perhaps I'll double check. Could that be it? Why would everything be okay after restart and not from a start up?

Thanks .

Doc
04-17-2002, 03:44 PM
Couple of double checks

(1) Which OS
(2) check your Start-Up Disk control panel and ensure that it's pointed at the right one
(3) new blessed System Folder on the boot master?
(4) jumpers set right on each drive?.

Just some thoughts - it is a bit bizarre that it would boot on restart but not from cold...How did you reinstall the system on the new Master?

Chris

niktu
04-17-2002, 04:03 PM
Hey Chris,

(1) 9.2.2
(2) A-OK
(3) New system folder. Didn't bless it though. Will do.
(4) Will have to double check jumper settings. Am fairly certain they are correct.

I installed the system from the software (9.0.4) that came with the computer. Then I did all the updates to 9.2.2.

lasvegas
04-17-2002, 04:30 PM
It may be possible that your Slave is not starting quick enough for your Master to acknowledge it. Try reversing your setup so that the old 5400 is Master and the 7200 is Slave. This would not effect the speed or operation of the drives otherwise.