PDA

View Full Version : all at sea

comfort
03-30-2002, 10:35 PM
help! help! i've recently come into possession of a G3 which i use for producing music (- Emagic LOGIC, Toast etc). Its lovely BUT chronically short of storage. Despite trying to educate myself thru MacGuru, i'm still unsure of how to beef it up a bit.

According to the profiler, I have a 300Mhz G3 (machine ID 510??) - and its beige - i've looked!! I'm running 9.2, have 384mb RAM. The CDROM's on an AT channel, the Start Up drive is SCSI bus0 - a 4Gb IBM. I have a 2nd drive on SCSI bus1 - also IBM 4.25Gb. Both these drives are RAMMED.

Unfortunately, EMI is not yet breaking my door down!!! so Money is a big factor, but i DO NEED 40 -80 more GIG. Do i replace both drives or just the Bus1 (say)?? Can i use IDE drives, or should i stick with scsi?

Most importantly, if some kind person has the time, i'd love a SPECIFIC recommendation.... what, exactly, do i need? what does it cost (approx)? what do i do with it when i've bought it? and ,critically, what is it going to do for me?

Thank you thank you!! Comfort xx

ricks
03-30-2002, 11:15 PM
Welcome to the forums.

I don't quite get the scsi bus listing you give but we'll muddle along with a couple of assumptions.

If your scsi drives are hooked up to the motherboard scsi bus then you are limited to 10MB/sec performance from that bus. If you have a PCI card that is installed and hosting the hard drives then that could very well be a much higher number. Let me know what the hard drives are connected to and we'll cross that bridge later if need be.

Without a scsi card installed to improve performance I would think your absolute best option is to install a ATA100 80 or 100 gig hard drive like a Barracuda IV on your internal ATA33 bus. You may or may not have a cable for that in there but IDE cables are real common and quite inexpensive if you don't.

If you need to remove one of your current drives to accomplish the install you can always reinstall it in place of the other scsi drive after the installation and copy all its data over while booted onto a CD. Just choose which drive you're going to keep.

This is without a doubt the most cost effective way of installing large drive space with good performance into your G3.

Hope that helps some.

Rick

comfort
03-30-2002, 11:59 PM
Many thanks Rick, for your reply! As far as I can gather, my configuration is as follows: Internal ATA1 (ID 0) - CDROM drive
SCSI Bus0 (ID 6) - 4Gb IBM HardDrive (StartUp drive)
SCSI Bus 1 (ID 0) - 4.25 IBM HardDrive
PCI - slot F1 ATI Display Card
slot A1 SCSI card - from which i run a yamaha External CDRW

The ROM Revision is $77D.45F2 - is this important?

Thank you again for help with what must seem really stoopid questions!!

ricks
03-31-2002, 02:15 PM
Hey comfort,

Going by the revision numbers you have the latest model G3, a revision3. That's great, it has the latest graphics set built into the motherboard and also supports slave drives on the two IDE bus's.

IDE drives are simpler than SCSI drives, in one way in particular, you can only ever put 2 drives on a single channel, a Master and a Slave. While scsi allows at least 7 devices per bus.

You have 2 different IDE channels on your motherboard, here's a Apple block diagram of the Beige G3

http://homepage.mac.com/rstephens/.Public/diagram.jpg

The 'Internal Hard drive' is the ATA33 UltraDMA bus intended to support one or two hard drives. You may install virtually any of the specification ATA drives, they are all backward compatible, such as ATA66, ATA100 or ATA133. With the appropriate cable you can install a Master drive that should be on the end of the cable and a Slave drive in the future that should be installed in the middle connector of the cable.

Your CD-Rom is installed on the ATAPI bus which is nearly identical but slower version of the ATA33 hard drive bus. This bus is intended for removable devices such as CD-Roms, CD-RWs and ZIP drives. It also will support a Master and a Slave.

If you do not already have a 40 pin IDE cable installed you will have to purchase one to use the ATA33 bus. It should have 3 connectors, one for the motherboard and two for devices. Make sure it's long enough to reach where your drives will be installed. (they come in all sorts of lengths)

Setting Master and Slave is a simple jumper setting thing on the hard drives, sometimes there is a 'Single' setting for drives on the bus with no slave present, you'll easily figure that out just by knowing it might be the necessary setting and it depends on the drive manufacturer.

There are no stupid questions except the ones that don't get asked, especially if you spend money first then ask later, that's the only no-no. Feel free to ask away, we'll try our best to help.

Rick