PDA

View Full Version : Fess up Plex fans, which software works best?

levelbest
03-13-2002, 12:42 AM
I would really like to know what I have to buy if I am going to get a Plextor internal IDE CD/R drive. I have long heard of the Plextor's greatness on these pages. But as a complete neophyte, which software packages will I "Have" to buy to run it in my 7300, and which software packages will I "Want" to run to optimize the drive?

I have been reading product pages and reviews where possible. Plextor does not offer Mac drivers with their drives. So I "Have" to get a driver from somewhere to use a Plextor. But what all will I need? Is Toast necessary? Is it such a common name because Toast is the best? Or are there other products that are also good? And what products are those? Is Toast the same as a CD driver package? Or is Toast something that, ideally, I would want to get, PLUS, get some CD caching/driver containing packages?

Charismac Engineering http://www.charismac.com/
sells a CD driver and caching software package that was linked from Plextor's site.

InTech http://www.IntechUSA.com/
Sells a CD driver and caching package. For some reason my instincts say this one feels best.

FWB http://www.fwb.com/cs/cdt/main.html
Sells a CD driver and caching package. Also linked from Plextor's site.

But which have others tried and which is the preferred product? And do I need Toast AND a CD driver package???

Thanks
lb

Damien
03-13-2002, 06:29 AM
Toast Definitely ! It is far above any other cd authoring software It does have a basic driver as well

If you want/need a more advanced driver get the Intech package

ChrisYip
03-13-2002, 08:35 AM
I totally agree - I'm using Intech drivers and Toast on all my burner systems...

geotime
03-13-2002, 11:58 AM
I agree on the software comments already offered. I installed an internal Plex CDR drive in my 7300 a while back (I put a SCSI drive in mine--on the stock 10MB/sec bus) and found that I had to do a little bezel scraping to get the tray to come out (I installed it under the floppy), but it wasn't too bad--made me feel like a real rad mod dude!

Just a heads up...

rwm
03-13-2002, 04:06 PM
A similar question... I am new to burnin CD's. I have had my G4 733 for two weeks and because of an unexpected death to my Grandmother. I have not got much done the past 10 days.

I will want to burn music CD's. I burned some using iTunes - seemed fine to me. I see most of you use toast - I assume it is reccommended for burning CD's.

More specfic - How to backup CD's and old 3.5"' disks putting installers, game demos, shareware etc. on them?

Randy

Thanks, Randy

mactheripper
03-23-2002, 01:09 PM
Intech and Toast. Some buckage in software, I know, but your stuff will work perfectly all the time.

ricks
03-23-2002, 03:37 PM
Don't take this as a disagreement with Mactheripper. I don't think Randy needs the Intech stuff with a factory burner in a QS, only the Toast Uitlity. Toast in my Quicksilver makes burning a much more sure thing than Apples Disk Burn software. Apples CD-DVD drivers work just fine in the new macs.

Intech should only be necessary with unsupported drives.

Rick