PDA

View Full Version : HD sleep mistery, mayby IDE issue?

Japser
03-18-2002, 06:57 PM
Last week I completly switched my 9600 (Sonnet G4 450) to my already intsalled Sonnet Temp ATA 66/ So I took out my old Seagate Baracuda SCSI drive and put in a extra IDE drive (the 3d)/ Now all of a sudden whenever My mac goes to sleep for a long time it doesn't want to wake up anymore?? My energy saver put the HD to sleep after 20 min/

Is this a IDE problem or SCSI? Or something else??

It really sucks/
thnx,

dragon_x
03-21-2002, 12:55 AM
So with 2 IDE/ATA drives and 1 SCSI drive, everthing was fine?

Are all the IDE/ATA drives the same?

You could set the HDs to NEVER sleep. Sometimes they have their own built-in settings and the Energy Saver control panel can interfer.

------------------
The Cost Of Freedom:
Every bit of energy.
Every ounce of courage.
Every drop of blood.

rwm
03-21-2002, 01:05 AM
Jasper

I do not know the answer to your question. I have had simalar problems but no longer sleep my hard drive. This forum is full of people who have forgot more information than I might ever learn or remember.

I think most would agree to set your system to sleep "never" and set the sleep timing for the monitor only - if even that.

Randy

mactheripper
03-23-2002, 01:08 PM
I would guess it has something to do with the IDE card and buses not handling HD sleep the same as factory SCSI.
I'd set all drives to never sleep; it causes more wear on the spindles anyway, and drives spinning don't draw much power; it's the monitor that really eats up the watts.