PDA

View Full Version : PowerTower Pro UltraTek Problems

wetamurphy
03-05-2002, 02:01 PM
I recently upgraded my Power Tower pro (already with MACh carrier/Newer G3 chip) with an IDE card from UltraTek. I was running a 30GB IDE disk as a scratch volume for some video, and a 18.2GB drive on the original SCSI bus.
I have since upgraded the 18.2 drive to a 60gb IDE on the same UltraTek card and have been getting some heinous problems.
1) SoundJam locks up whenever i play an MP3... my old MacAMP v1.0 doesn't.
2) The lock ups have been traced back to the extensions for my RageOrion PCI card
3) My damn Sony CDR 4x burner doesn't work anymore (on original SCSI bus with 8x CDR and some external SCSI stuff that isn't turned on)

Anyone have a suggestion? The system was such a workhorse before the second drive and now it's falling apart.

dragon_x
03-05-2002, 11:11 PM
Put the 18.2GB SCSI back in. It might all work!
If you do not have space for the 3rd drive - chuck the 30GB IDE/ATA if you can. That is put it somewhere else. You could put the 18GB SCSI external and even use it for boot.

Disconnect the external SCSI stuff - even if its off. The PTPro has two stock buses - the internal FastSCSI2 (10MB/s) and the external SCSI2 (5MB/s) - they should not affect each other, but SCSI Voodoo is kinda insidous http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/eek.gif

So is there a conflict between the ATI extensions and the 60GB drive?
Do you have the latest drivers? Firmware?
Maybe the ATI extensions are corrupt?
Are you booting off that IDE/ATA card?

------------------
The Cost Of Freedom:
Every bit of energy.
Every ounce of courage.
Every drop of blood.

wetamurphy
03-18-2002, 06:43 PM
I wound up keeping both drives sucessfully. Just in case anyone cared what i did:

I moved the ATI Rage Orion card from the fourth PCI slot to the second slot, kept all the software drivers and everything worked fine. In fact, i just installed a Lite-On drive on the IDE card and put both IDE HD's on the same cable.

The system works great now and i haven't had a crash in *honest-to-god* two weeks. These systems sure are quirky.

8-) Dave