PDA

View Full Version : PTP ATA Upgrade?

aricher
03-15-2002, 04:22 PM
Hey there,

I hope ricks catches this. I have been considering a new SCSI RAID setup in my PowerTowerPro and have a thread about that: http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/000210.html

After looking over the ATA possibilities I am intriqued by this low cost/high speed option. I think I'd rather pay less for storage now and do a serious RAID setup on a future G4 setup.

My questions are, what is the best ATA PCI card for a PTP and what, in Guru's opinion would be the best hard drives fro this sort of setup? Seagate, etc? As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

ricks
03-15-2002, 05:07 PM
Adam,

I was intriqued enough to buy two of the darn things (ATA hardraid) for my QS and B&W. They are an inexpensive, and because of the simplicity, elegant solution to faster hard drives.

Unfortunately only for Beige G3s or newer computer. I guess newer implies faster and wider PCI bus. In testing where we installed in a PTP and a 8500 Mac the ATA133 achieved absolutely NO performance benefit from adding a second drive and 'turning on' the RAID. None, not a single MB/sec.

Absolute waste of money as far as through-put is concerned to buy an ATA133 Hardware RAID card for a Vintage Mac.

Sorry Adam.

Rick

aricher
03-15-2002, 07:09 PM
ricks-

Ok - so no go on the ATA Raid idea. Exactly how fast are ATA drives? What kind of performance would I get from installing a Sonnet Tempo ATA100 PCI for around $100 and using a cheap ATA drive. Are there better cards available? I really don't know much about ATA insofar as PTP's are concerned. Who makes good models - do they have anything faster than 7200 rpm, etc. My idea is to upgrade my PTP cheaply, save my $$ and get a new G4 and do a dual x-15 install later this year.

Thanks,

Adam

[This message has been edited by Adam (edited 15 March 2002).]

ICCAFSN
03-15-2002, 10:30 PM
I don't want to re-type everything I've typed before, so I'll refer you to the following forum http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/Forum26/HTML/000150.html which has some good discussion about PCI IDE cards in general. Also in it, I had some rough throughput numbers and some comments about audio stuttering & OS X compatibility.