PDA

View Full Version : ide drive speeds

perrykibler
03-15-2002, 11:01 AM
just got new western digital ata spec ed w/ 8mb cache (thanks to the outstanding advice from the folks in this forum). until i can afford to buy a second one and a raid card am going to run it with a maxtor 7200rpm std apple issue drive. question is i've heard that if you run a 7200rpm drive with a 5400 rpm drive in same box, they'll run at lowest common denominator speed. is this going to be an issue with my new drive, or will west digi drive run just as well on master with maxtor on slave?

Damien
03-15-2002, 12:43 PM
No this is not the case when discussing RPM Your new drive will run at 7200 and be faster than your stock drive It will run at theh slower ATA 66 speed due to being on your ATA66 bus

You do take a performance hit just by having a slave drive but that is not a huge hit

perrykibler
03-15-2002, 12:48 PM
how much of a performance hit? noticable?

rwm
03-15-2002, 05:11 PM
Hello and welcome

ChrisYip swaped out a 5400 rpm drive with a 7200 rpm in one of his machines and he noticed a difference - mostly with OS X. They were both new drives. Run a quick test....

Download "ExpressPro-Tools 2.7" from atto.com or GURU ftp

Rick gave me these great instructions.... "Don't install the extension, you don't need it. Just double click to launch the utility ExpressProTools. It will search ALL your buses and show drives on the left and volumes on the right. Select a volume by highlighting it, pull down the menu under 'Utilities' and select Benchmark.

When the benchmark window opens you can select any drive on your computer as well as some testing parameters. The only parameter you want to change is the sample size, make that 8MB. That's what we all compare performance with, it's the longest test."

Words from a smart and very helpful guy out here. Thanks Rick. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Good luck
Randy

[This message has been edited by rwm2 (edited 15 March 2002).]