PDA

View Full Version : What's what inside a G3 266 (beige)?

George Nicholas
03-08-2002, 09:59 AM
A couple of questions about the insides of a G3 266 (beige) [revision 3] 4 G hd). With the cover off:

1. On the top of the right side, there is a small, rectangular piece of plastic that folds out (about 1 inch by 3 inches, as I recall). What is it?

2. There are also three sets of unconnected wire bundles (one wide ribbon; 2 sets of blue and red wires). I presume these can be used for mounting a second hard drive. Correct?

Thanks.

------------------

ChrisYip
03-08-2002, 11:46 AM
I think the former is some sort of catch for propping the lid open when you unfold the machine to install stuff

the other are Power cables and your SCSI (or IDE) ribbon cable

Chris

Damien
03-11-2002, 07:32 PM
The plastic piece is a leg that supports your drive tray when you unfold it to gain access to the motherboard

The ribbon IS a hard drive connector depending on the size it could be an ATA connector or a scsi connector The small wires are probably power lines for the added hard drives They will have a white 4 pin connector on the end if that is what they are

[This message has been edited by Damien (edited 11 March 2002).]

George Nicholas
03-11-2002, 08:33 PM
Thanks

Is there a handy on-line guide I can find that identifies what types of drives are suitable for this model? And how can I tell whether the ribbon is for ATA or SCSI drives?

ricks
03-11-2002, 10:05 PM
Hi ya George,

The best place to start, in fact where I started some years ago, is the main MacGurus site. The scsi pages of doom and the idepagesofheck are great resources to learn the basics of hard drives, upgrades and whatnot.

http://www.macgurus.com/graphics/mgscsiadapters.html

http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart/showrampage.cgi?idepagesofheck.html

CPU upgrades on this page: http://www.macgurus.com/graphics/mgacceleratorcards.html

These are the very best place to start. My one caveat to what's written is I think the IDE pages are a bit dated. IDE drives are getting very good and can be a reasonable alternative to purchasing the more expensive scsi drives. This of course depends upon what you wish to use the drives for.

Any and all questions you might have feel free to ask on this forum, we'll try and help out.

Rick

[This message has been edited by ricks (edited 11 March 2002).]

George Nicholas
03-13-2002, 08:49 AM
Rick, Thanks

Those are most useful sources that you recommended.

Just to clarify... I can put either an SCSI or IDE drive in, regardless of the drive I currently have, which is a Motorola 4 Gb? Is that correct?

The spare ribbon connector that is in the G3 has a 40-hole end on it. Does that limit my choices. Which is that connector normally for?

Otherwise, since I have a revision 3 board, and since there is already two sets of blue and red power wires in place, I'm ready to go, once I decide which route to go (SCSI or IDE), and which size drive to go with.

George

ricks
03-13-2002, 12:18 PM
Hey George,

40 pin = IDE. That means you can either install another hard drive on the ATA33 internal IDE bus on that connector. You'd probably want to get a ATA100 drive for that.

Or, you can install a scsi cable, nothing fancy, on the internal 10MB/sec narrow scsi bus and install as many narrow scsi drives as you can find places to put them. Scsi will allow 7 devices on the internal bus. of course there isn't that many places to put them.

Your cheapest and fastest (as in speed of the bus and drive) way to install more hard drive space will be to install something like the Barracuda IV ATA100 hard drive on the 40pin connector. (I just yesterday ordered 2 of them for my computer, great drive) That Cable should also connect to your OEM hard drive so the new one will be configured 'slave' and the original one would be configured as 'master' if it isn't already. Some drive manufacturers configure a IDE drive as 'single' when it's the solitary drive on the bus, if so, that will need to be made 'master' when you add a drive.

You also can easily get a 'Y' adapter for your power cables if you ever need one more than you have. They are available just about anywhere.

Yell if you need anything, happy to help anytime.

Rick

George Nicholas
03-13-2002, 12:53 PM
I am humbled by your brilliance.

By the way, a correction on my last note. I have a Seagate medalist, not a Motorola.

Many thanks,

(PS - do you happen to know if a SAP-128/PBC100 DIMM will fit into my beige G3? I just inherited it.