PDA

View Full Version : MIA: ATAPI CD-ROM & Zip on G3 Biege

Tom Greggs
03-05-2002, 07:27 PM
While I have power to my G3 Beige 300 MT CD-ROM and internal stock Zip drive, they don't mount and don't show up in the Apple Profiler. The Zip tools show that no Zip is connected to the machine. I've got the right extensions loaded (I'm in MacOS 8.6) did the zap P-Ram and rebuilt desktop and looked for loose cables. Nothing works. I'd been backing up regularly to the Zip and the following day, without having done anything strange, I lost those drives.
Should I:

1. Take it to an Apple Certified repair facility (for hundred of dollars)?
2.Buy a used motherboard on e-Bay for about $125?
3.Try to get a bootable CD-RW to end-around my missing CD and Zip? Would a SCSI CD-RW be bootable? I've been told both yes and no by two people that sell them for a living. What about using the ATTO SCSI connection that exists in this machine?

Thanks for any help you might be able to lend.
Tom Greggs

ricks
03-05-2002, 11:46 PM
Hi ya Tom,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear your having trouble with your Beige. You have some good ideas though on how to fix it.

1st: I would suspect a cable before anything else. They can take a hell of a beating in there sometimes. I would first pull and reconnect all your IDE connectors, if you've had it apart beforew the failure I would carefully inspect the connector pins on the drives to make sure none are bent over.

2nd: Does Apple System Profiler see the BUS? It should show the IDE or ATAPI bus with no devices on it. correction I just tried unplugging the zip and CD in my G3 and the bus disappeared from ASP, oh well.

3rd: If the problem is the IDE internal bus then getting a ATA66 or ATA100 PCI card will replace that without buying a more expensive CD or Zip. Make sure you get one that is ATAPI drive compatible, you want the manufacturer to specifically note that CD-Roms and burners will work with their card.

4th: Might be worth trying to connect your CD-Rom to the hard drive bus and see if it will see the CD, that might answer the bus or drive question. I am not sure if the ATA33 hard drive bus is capable of using the CD-Rom but it should be able to see it. (I just tried this with an extra, longer cable and I was able to boot the CD-Rom in my G3 while it's hooked to the HD bus as the only storage device hooked up to the computer.)

Of course, you can always add CD-Roms or burners to the scsi bus, it will work great for that, but using the current CD and zip would be the cheapest even if you need to purchase a ATA host card.

Rick

Damien
03-06-2002, 11:50 AM
SCSI cdroms (and burners) will be bootable
!! IF !!

1 Your scsi card that you use is a bootable card

AND

2 You choose/buy a cd/cdrw that is designated as "Mac-bootable"

Let us know what cards/drives you have or plan to buy and someone here will know all the info about them

dragon_x
03-06-2002, 03:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>3rd: If the problem is the IDE internal bus then getting a ATA66 or ATA100 PCI card will replace that without buying a more expensive CD or Zip. Make sure you get one that is ATAPI drive compatible, you want the manufacturer to specifically note that CD-Roms and burners will work with their card.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most IDE/ATA cards support fixed HDs only. So CD-ROMs and ZIP may or may not work completely or at all. You could hook your HD up to the new card and then hook up the ZIP & CD-ROM to your remaining built-in ATA/IDE bus.

------------------
The Cost Of Freedom:
Every bit of energy.
Every ounce of courage.
Every drop of blood.

Tom Greggs
03-06-2002, 06:40 PM
Thanks, gentlemen, for your help!! I have, in my G3 Beige 300 MT, the stock ATTO UW card (I think that 60 pin connector on the riser card that also houses the A/V stuff signifies the ATTO's existance). Can only UW drives by used with this card? And then I have the stock SCSI, of course.
I'm open to suggestions for which type of bootable card to add, either SCSI, Firewire or otherwise, and which type Mac-bootable CD-RW to add.
Thanks again for your help.
Tom Greggs

>SCSI cdroms (and burners) will be bootable !! IF !!
>1 Your scsi card that you use is a bootable card AND
>2 You choose/buy a cd/cdrw that is designated as "Mac-bootable"
>Let us know what cards/drives you have or plan to buy and someone here will know >all the info about them.

ricks
03-06-2002, 10:11 PM
If you do decide to install a scsi cd, rom or burner, get a bootable one and install it on the 50pin narrow scsi on the mobo. CDs are slow, virtually all removable drives are slow enough that if you install one on a fast scsi bus the removable will slow the entire bus down to its speed.

The ATTO card will support booting from but save it for faster hard drives.

Rick