PDA

View Full Version : Which drive for startup "master" or "slave"

rwm
03-05-2002, 12:05 AM
I have a 40 gig Seagate 7200 rpm drive set as the "master" in my QS 733 and a 60 gig IBM 60GXP 7200 rpm drive set as the "slave". Does it make any difference as to which one I should start using as my primary boot or startup drive?

I have 9.2.x and OS X on both. Thanks. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Randy

ChrisYip
03-05-2002, 12:34 AM
Probably not a big difference between the two - the fine print on the Disk Cache etc might eke out a bit - you could check Storage Review and see if they have performance specs on the two drives.

Chris

ricks
03-05-2002, 01:52 AM
Hey Randy,

If you want to know what's faster run the ATTO benchtest on the two drives and find out.

You can download the ExpressProTools utlity from the Gurus ftp site.

Rick

rwm
03-05-2002, 07:12 PM
Rick or anyone that knows... Which version?

ExpressPro Tools 1.2
ExpressPro Tools 2.6
ExpressPro-Tools 2.3.2
ExpressPro-Tools 2.5

Chris - Where do I find this: "Storage Review"

Randy

[This message has been edited by rwm2 (edited 05 March 2002).]

rwm
03-05-2002, 10:21 PM
OK - From the ATTO site I downloaded "SCSI and Fibre Channel Mac Version 2.70" This seems to be to only Mac software I could find. Is this for SCSI only?

It contains - "This download includes the Read me first file, ExpressPro-Tools, ExpressPro-Tools Extension. It can be used to configure the host adapter, create partitions, format partitions, and modify mode pages. A benchmark utility is also included."

I am looking for something to "benchmark/test" my 40 and 60 gig ATA/IDE drives. I would like to check my 7500 with the 10k SCSI Cheetah too.

So do I have what I need? Will the ...benchmark utility included test both or neither? I am a little comnfused - never done this before. OR Get one of the others listed below from the GURUs ftp?

I don't want to put useless software on CLEAN drives. I am just not smart enough to know the right software. http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/confused.gif

Thanks, Randy

ricks
03-05-2002, 11:14 PM
Hey Randy,

Don't install the extension, you don't need it. Just double click to launch the utility ExpressProTools. It will search ALL your buses and show drives on the left and volumes on the right. Select a volume by highlighting it, pull down the menu under 'Utilities' and select Benchmark.

When the benchmark window opens you can select any drive on your computer as well as some testing parameters. The only parameter you want to change is the sample size, make that 8MB. That's what we all compare performance with, it's the longest test.

Have fun.

BTW, the utility is useful sometimes, it can totally erase a driver partition, useful when a third party utility like FWB locks said partition making it impossible to overwrite with drive setup. Of course, when you erase a driver partition ALL the data on the drive is NUKED, See ya, adios muchachos. Gone.

Rick

[This message has been edited by ricks (edited 05 March 2002).]

rwm
03-06-2002, 03:13 PM
Thanks - got it. Seems everything is about 39-41 MB/sec reads.

Randy