PDA

View Full Version : pc ide card for macintosh

thomas1268
03-04-2002, 10:45 AM
hello,

do any people have try using 'acard' aec-6280 pc ide control card and modify it for macintosh?

thomas

dragon_x
03-04-2002, 08:07 PM
Not I, but one thing to consider: most Mac compatible PCI cards need bigger firmware (BIOS) space than a standard PC. Most Mac PCI SCSI card do NOT require drivers - because they are bootable and this requires extra code (It seems to anyway). The one exception to this is the Adaptec2906 which is not bootable, but is cheap and works good for old scanners, SCSI drives and removables. IDE/ATA cards on the Mac are actually designed to appear as a SCSI card - so they can be bootable, but the formatting of the drive is a little different (since the Mac formats the drive like a SCSI drive). ACard does make most (all) the Mac compatible cards out there. I think even Sonnet and other companies simply buy them and add 'support' and 'features' along with more marketing and hopefully a good return policy if things go south. I am fairly new to IDE/ATA so I am not sure of that particular model - is it ATA/100. I would think any ATA100 would work or would be flashable. You might have to flash it in a PC. If something goes wrong during the flash you could kill the card (either the flash ROM/BIOS is dead or maybe needs a special machine to reset?). Trag would know more about this - at least on the firmware end... not sure how versed he is with IDE/ATA or ACard.

What kind of Mac are you trying to use this in?

Does it even show up in the system profiler?

------------------
The Cost Of Freedom:
Every bit of energy.
Every ounce of courage.
Every drop of blood.

thomas1268
03-05-2002, 09:14 AM
i using the 'siig' product, it can using for harddisk only, cd-rom or cd-r/rw can not working or mount.
do any people have method to mount cd-rom?

dragon_x
03-05-2002, 12:07 PM
Most of the 'Mac' IDE/ATA cards do not support removable drives. If you have a beigeG3 or newer you could probably hook an IDE/ATA drive up to the stock bus. It might also depend on the drivers you are using and the drive you have. Intech makes fairly good drivers for Apple and generic PC CD/DVD-ROM drives. Some people are able to get removables working with those cards - it may be more of a matter of luck than anything else. I think often you can get paritial functionality out of this kind of setup.

What kind of Mac do you have?

thomas1268
03-05-2002, 07:25 PM
my mac is 8500/g3/400

ricercar
03-05-2002, 10:36 PM
I've been using an ATAPI IDE CDROM with a Sonnet Tempo ATA66 card.

ricks
03-05-2002, 11:04 PM
tomas,

I noticed that Sonnets ATA100 card specifically mentions that ATAPI devices are not supported. The Acard (Siig and Miglia also since both are made by Acard) does support ATAPI drives as specifically mentioned by the Acard specs at Acard.com.

I don't know what the difference is between a Acard or Siig host that was manufactured for the PC and the one manufactured for the Mac. They are both cheap enough that it has never come up before.

Rick