PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha CD writer

levelbest
03-03-2002, 09:03 PM
I am in DIRE need of a backup mechanism for my system (7300). I am looking for an internal cd writer. Plextor, well recommended on this site, has an internal burner that writes at 12x speed for $107.00. A good friend who knows more of the PC world than about Macs, recommends that 12x is way out of date for modern CD burners. He suggested Yamaha has a good unit, partly because of it's large (8meg) buffer that virtually eliminate under runs (coasters).

I see that Office depot has the Yamaha 24x cd burner on rebate price of 99. Can some one please clarify if the Plextor is a good deal, even at 12x? And, if the Yamaha is even usable on the Mac. Since Plextor doesn't advertise Mac compatibility, but works on macs, I am assuming, that Yamaha would also work on a Mac.

Can anyone verify this for me?

Thanks. (I will also be getting an internal IDE card)

lb

kaye
03-03-2002, 09:49 PM
That I know of, there are two technologies that prevent buffer underrun, one is Yamaha's 8MB buffer, the other is called BURN-Proof http://www.burn-proof.com/ and Plextor has info on it http://www.plextor.be/english/technical/burnproof.html

My EZQuest FireWire burner uses BURN-Proof and I have yet to make a coaster. Think I've had it about a year now. I can't comment about the Yamaha method cause I don't have one. k

levelbest
03-03-2002, 10:04 PM
Thanks Kaye. Do you know if the 12x speed on a Plextor is as unreasonable as my friend suggests? The 24x Yamaha, assuming it actually woks with the SIIG 133 card would be a good choice - - again, if it works. Hoping someone here will know ... (?)

OTO, Gurus people speak so highly of Plextor, I really want to know if the 12x unit stacks up.

Thanks again Kaye.

lb

kaye
03-04-2002, 03:37 AM
How long does it take to burn a full 650MB/74min CD at 1x,2x,4x etc...?

1x=74 minutes
2x=37
4x=18.5
8x=9.25
12x=6.17
16x=4.63
24x=3.08

Of course, a burn takes longer than that to test the CD, write the lead-in, lead-out info, and verify if you care to. But those are for the actual burn itself. Also to burn at the faster speeds requires more expensive media rated for that burn speed or else your burner, via Toast anyway, may tell you that it is going to burn at a slower speed. My EZQuest FireWire 16x10x40 burner has a Teac mechanism so I use Teac 16x media.

Oh, and if you are an audio perfectionist, there are those here that say you should burn an audio CD at 1x or 2x. My ears have been destroyed by years of being yelled at and by jet engines. k

[This message has been edited by kaye (edited 04 March 2002).]

levelbest
03-04-2002, 09:42 AM
Thanks Kaye. The review I read on the Plextor 12x talk about it being very fast. But reviews are usually not calender dated, so I can't tell if they mean really fast by old standards, or fast by current standards. It's conceivable to me, never having burned a cd, that some combination of the cache makes it "seem" fast. And I have been hearing how some people choose a slower speed anyway, as you said. Part of why I really want it is to make backups very easy to do. So faster would be good.

But what of the other question? If Plextor doesn't advertise for Macs and therefore (I assume) doesn't include Mac compatible software, how does one get drivers and get the ripping software? And I also ask because the Yamaha 24x unit is still a consideration.

Are these machines in need of special drivers, like a video card? Or not. If not, and they only need the atapi interface card (assuming I don't find one in scci) then I would like to be clear about that.

And, what about burning software? Toast is the only "name" that I have heard. Do any burners bundle with what I need to run the Yamaha or the Plextor and should therefore be factored in to a "good deal"?

Thanks again.

lb