PDA

View Full Version : 3rd party Combo drive in Quicksilver

Clock Nova
01-28-2002, 11:30 PM
I'm about to purchase a new 800Mhz Quicksilver G4, the bottom line model introduced today. Unfortunately, they still make the combo drive optional, not standard, on that model. And since I have to order my G4 from a reseller, who still cannot customize my order, I have no choice but to go with the stupid CD-RW drive. Unfortunately, I find a DVD drive FAR more useful than a CD burner, but I admit that a CD burner is nice to have.

Does anyone know where I can get either an Apple DVD-R/CD-RW combo drive separately, or a 3rd party combo drive that will install in a Quicksilver G4? It must be internal, and I also need to know where I can get the proper CD bezel for the QuickSilver.

Another question: do the Quicksilvers utilize some special type of CD/DVD drives in those strange bays, or are they just standard form drives? In other words, will any 3rd party drive fit in a Quicksilver, or do you need a special drive?

ricks
01-31-2002, 07:48 PM
CN,
You and everyone else would like to install a second CD type drive in the ZIP slot. Unfortunately that is a major hardware hack that will involve getting rid of the 3.5 inch zip mount and fabricating a CD_Rom mount somehow that will align with the permanently installed ZIP drive door.

Lots of threads along this line since the Quicksilvers came out not only here but at XLR8yourmac.com and even at Apples forums. Most people with the superdrive want a fast CD-RW so they have some R/W speed as well as saving their expensive DVD drive for more important uses.

Rick