PDA

View Full Version : Slotload DVD in iMac Indigo?

Barnman
01-13-2002, 08:16 PM
We have a slotload DVD drive from an iMac DV. The logic board is dead on the iMac DV and can't use it. Is it possible to replace the drive from an iMac 400mhz Indigo with the DVD drive? Both are slotload. Is there a mobo difference between the DV machines and the lower end machines that would prevent the swap?

I would like to get the iMac DV running but can't find a replacement mobo. I paid an Apple tech $80 to tell me it was dead (refurb unit, no warranty) and didn't wan to pay $600 to replace it (their amount). Been looking for a board for some time (eBay, etc) but no luck.

I run a lab at a high school so money is fairly tight (explains the refurb purchase).

Thanks

lasvegas
01-13-2002, 11:59 PM
Since both are slot loading drives then yes, the drives are interchangable. The logicboard and memory may be as well if you have a faster processor in the DV!

ICCAFSN
01-23-2002, 01:27 AM
Just to add some anecdotal data, I did this very thing with my iMac. I purchased an OEM Apple-branded slot loading DVD drive from OWC, and after swearing my way through the iMac disassembly I was able to convert my Indigo iMac into and Indigo iMac DV. DVD's play as expected, and except for my quibbles with slot-loading CD drives in general (they don't seem to be very good at reading CD-RW's) I'm pretty happy with the upgrade.

Barnman
01-23-2002, 04:51 PM
Thank you all for the information. I'll break open our iMacs and do the swap.

ricks
01-23-2002, 05:26 PM
I don't know if you need it, but the Service Manual is available at: http://home.wanadoo.nl/manual.man/manuals.html

Rick