PDA

View Full Version : Adding second 5.25" bay to G4 or G3??

Greentree_uk
01-20-2002, 11:47 PM
Havng just bought a graphite G4 for a ridiculous price I am in two minds should I keep or should I sell?? I already have a G3 300 Beige Twr with a 500Mhz G3 processor a 60gb HD fw/usb card a radeon card and 768MB of ram. However I also have an internal 24x CDRW a lite-on (it's great btw) the biggest prob is the G4 will only take one 5.25" drive but I want two! one for dvd and one to burn Cd's and yes in under 3 mins! I have heard of case hacks but I have so far been unable to find a proper resource on this info. i.e the best way to go about this!! I love the G4 but I want CDRW @ 24x not 12x!!(e.g superdrive!) and I want DVD. In the 2nd bay is a zip which I am happy enough to put inside the machine in one of the bays since I can open the case whilst on! and I rarely use one! but there is a special casing for it! can I get a replacement for 2 5.25" bays? The beige twr I have has suppt ofor only 2 IDE devices would I be better buying a rev. B or C ROM chip? q. just how much faster are processor UG expected to go??? thanks in advance

ricks
01-22-2002, 12:23 AM
Hey GT,
Where ya been? About time you had something going on.

Glad to see that G3 is making smoke. If you want to increase your IDE unpgrade-ability install a faster host card like a ATA100 or 133. You will not believe the difference between that and your anemic ATA33 internal bus. You will then be able to install 2 drives. You can even get the ATA133 raid card and install 4 ATA drives on it (they're 2 channel). At a MUCH higher performance level too.

I looked into a second CD-Rom mount for the Quicksilver and found about the same as you. There are no kits or parts or bays made to add the second drive. All anyone's ever done is pure hack. Rip the old 3.5 zip mount and fab up a 5.25 mount to replace it. And keep it perfect so the door works. Sure would be nice not to wear out a $700 Superdrive playing CDs.

Anyone with as much instant experience with the Beige G3 as you got in your 'overnight' multiple purchases/repairs NEEDS a G4 just to keep you from buying a couple more Beiges. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Rick

Greentree_uk
01-22-2002, 08:32 PM
You' know I've been kicking around doing a bit here and there! But in general I now know all the probs I can have with my beige G3 LOL as you know!! Anyway I've finally got my hands on a G4 450 for a measly 400 dunno what that is in dollars you work it out! So yes Finally I will be able to try out my 39160 controller! I don't think I'll be keeping it (far too great a card for me... I'd never do it justice..so look out for it on ebay soon. and yes I'll ship to the US!