PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Int Hard Drive: There in OSX, Gone in OS9

BoulderDash
01-15-2002, 05:35 PM
Hi All,
I switched over to OS X this weekend. When I am using OS X (10.1.2), my 2nd internal Hard Drive shows up fine. However, when I boot into OS 9.2.2 it doesn't show up at all. I tried using "Drive Setup" and "Apple System Profiler" when in OS 9, but neither have it even show up on ATA Bus 1.

When I set it up, I did correctly set it up with "Slave" pin positioning, and like I say, it works perfectly when booted into OS X - so why can I not see it when booted into OS 9?

I'm pretty sure I checked "Install OS9 Drivers" in the first place. Here are some other issues which may affect it:

a) In the Rev. 1's you can't stack the drives on top of each other, so it kind of makes it difficult to use the cable ribbon since the connectors are close together and the drives are side-by-side (not on top of each other)

b) Because of this I connected the BLUE connector to the Master Drive, the GREY connector to the Slave Drive, and the BLACK connector to the mother board

Should the BLUE connector always go to the motherboard? Is OSX smart enough to use the cable in this configuration - but not OS9?

* P.S. I did "Initialize" it while in OS X, and could swear I checked-off an option that said something like "Install OS 9 Drivers" - if I didn't how can I install them AFTER THE FACT, since I have a ton of data already on there and I would not like to back it up and initialize again.

* P.S.S. On an interesting note, when I used "Apple System Profiler" under OS X, only my 2nd internal Hard Drive shows up... not the 1st internal Hard Drive that I boot from.

But when I use "Disk Utility" under OS X, they both show up (1st = ATA Master, 2nd = ATA Slave).

Is there a bigger problem here? Thanks a ton,
Boulder

ricks
01-15-2002, 06:12 PM
What model computer is this on? Sounds like either a B&W or a Beige.

One other way to make a drive invisible to MacOS is if you formatted it UFS. Then only the Unix OSX can read the UFS volume. You can check that in Drvie Utility from OSX.

Rick

BoulderDash
01-15-2002, 06:54 PM
Hey there,
It is a G3 (B&W, Rev. 1) formatted as HFS+. Any ideas on what to do? Is it the cable config?

ricks
01-15-2002, 07:18 PM
Ya know Boulder, I can't believe that a hardware issue such as the cable being turned around would work in one instance and not in another. The drivers that OS9 uses to access the drive is different from the sub-routines that unix uses, but from the memory controller to the drive should work the same.

I have a B&W but I have never installed a slave on the internal bus. I added a PCI card and run 2 ATA drives on that bus as well as a single Barracuda on the internal.

Check your jumpers carefully to make sure that you have a master and a slave, I know you've probably done that 6 times already,but...... Make sure the master isn't set to 'single' drive, some manufacturers use single drive jumper for one drive and master only with a slave. Your right that the last device is optimally the master but you can switch that and still work.

Then you can also switch the master/slave arrangement and see if that solves it. Kinda of a shotgun method of testing, but if it works, hey, that's what counts.

You might try hooking the drive up on top of the factory mounted drive and trying it with the cable the correct way. You can set it on a piece of card board to test. If that does solve the problem then ordering a rev2 drive mount bracket would solve the problem. The ATA33 bus supports slaves so it shouldn't be a issue with that.

Rick

BoulderDash
01-15-2002, 07:52 PM
Thanks Ricks,
I have a Rev. 1 and a Rev. 2 B&W G3, and I can see that the brackets which hold the drives are completely diferent - so I won't be able to just order the mounting bracket.

The thing that get's me is that OS 9 can't see the Hard Drive at all (while OS X can). Even if a drive is unformatted (that is, no OS 9 Drivers on it) I would have thought I could still see that it exists.

In any case, if I can't figure it out - what's this about getting a card to do the work? Which one should I get? I'm not interested in having RAID - I just want 2 Hard Drives in my Mac.

ricks
01-15-2002, 08:08 PM
Boulder,
You will be absolutely blown away by the difference between the "dog-slow" ATA33 factory bus and a good ATA100 or 133 host card. I would look at either Sonnet or Acards (actually the same card in some models). You will improve the performance a bunch! I am not sure if the Gurus are selling the Sonnet ATA100 yet, maybe give Deb a call or email her deb@macgurus.com

I would still try the switch of master/slave and then try the drive sitting on top in case it is the cable for some reason then you can replace it for cheap with a longer 80wire/40pin IDE cable.

Thanks for the info on the mounting bkt, I had always thought that the mounting plate was the same and only the slip-in bracket was different. My rev2 has the stack mount, that's the way to go.

Rick

chrismenke
01-15-2002, 09:20 PM
Also, if the 'missing' drive was formatted in OSX, even as HFS+, there is a checkbox 'Install Mac OS9 Drivers'. If it is not checked, the drive will not appear to OS9.

[edit]

Oops...didn't read that this had been tried

[end edit]

[This message has been edited by chrismenke (edited 15 January 2002).]

chrismenke
01-15-2002, 09:23 PM
Also, if the 'missing' drive was formatted in OSX, even as HFS+, there is a checkbox 'Install Mac OS9 Drivers'. If it is not checked, the drive will not appear to OS9.

BoulderDash
01-15-2002, 10:14 PM
Hey hey,
Just to be clear, before I re-initialize the 2nd Hard Drive yet again, with that Checkbox checked-off (100% for sure, and lose all of my data): there is no way to just throw those Drivers on now? Can't just copy them on from somewhere?

* P.S. It took me about 9 hours to copy 45 GB's from one mac to another to this drive before (IBM 76GB, 7200 RPM) - is that normal?

ricks
01-15-2002, 10:33 PM
There are several utilities that will mount a drive. FWB,Intech speedTools and I think TechTool. I use the FWB Mounter frequently. Haven't used the Intech tools at all, so I can't testify to it.

On a 100baseT connection you will usually get about 5 to 8 megabytes/sec. That's 300 MB/min 1.8g per hour as a minimum. So yeah, it takes awhile to move 45gig. If all things were perfect the best you can move on a 100megabit connection would be 12 MB/second, I've never seen one that would do that.

I'd be tempted to mount the other drive in place of one of my hard drives and local move the data. Then move it back.

Rick