PDA

View Full Version : Finally, which HD?

Holly
01-06-2002, 01:14 PM
I've been searching high and low for the best ATA/100 HD that I'll eventually RAID with an Acard controller. I need a very quiet and reliable 60GB HD for heavy photoshop work and DV.

My first instincts brought me to the offering my IBM. I read some grumbling about the 75GXP, which led me to the Barracuda IV. Western Digital bested all in a test in Storage review, blah, blah, blah!!! The search is endless...

Can anybody offer what conclusion they came up with?

kaye
01-06-2002, 01:31 PM
A new IBM out. Check here http://www.barefeats.com/#quick and I expect he will give us some test results soon. k

dragon_x
01-06-2002, 01:42 PM
I like the Barracuda 4 - I have two of them!

------------------
To boldly go where no english professor has gone before! -)

ricks
01-07-2002, 12:28 AM
kaye,
That's one hot IBM drive. Wonder what it'd do with a 8mb cache..........
Rick

Holly, You almost just have to pick your poison based on someones performance guidelines. The only drive I have ever heard having trouble with failures was the IBM 75GXP, IBM seems to have solved that problem with the 60GXP.

Barracudas are really nice, quiet and reliable. Best, the Gurus sell em.(also 60GXPs)

I am not sure that the extra performance would be worth getting the WD Caviar Special Editions with the 8mb caches. They are pricey, I have never seen a review of them in a RAID though. That would really be the only way to know.

Rick