PDA

View Full Version : ata card, cdrw drive, and os compatability

khandawg
11-14-2001, 01:30 PM
Im looking to add an ATA card and a CDRW drive, (and ATA hard drives) to my P.M. 8500. I have investigated tech reviews and forums covering this topic for several days now and it seems that there is no upgrade path that is generally free of problems. The hard drive issue is of no real concern to me, but the CDRW is as there seems to be as many success stories as failures. Being able to boot off a CD is important for me in case of future start-up problems. Is anyone able to reccomend any combinations of ATA cards, and CDRW drives that cooperate with each other and OS 9.1 and 'drive set-up'? -Regards.

lasvegas
11-14-2001, 03:49 PM
Is there a specific reason that you need an ATAPI CD/RW? SCSI CDRW drives are about the same price and most will be bootable on your 8500. The SONY Supresa series are also fully compatible with iTunes and Apple's CD Burner extensions in OS 9.1.

Of course, as of yet, there are no SCSI CD Burner drivers in OS X, but that's just a matter of time. An ATAPI burner will not work in OS X on your 8500 either, since the IDE card emulates SCSI from your computers point of view. Currently, the only burners that will work with OS X on oldworld machines are supported Firewire drives with a compatible Firewire card.

bentonsedge
12-18-2001, 11:45 PM
I too am running a Mac 8500 under OS 9.1; now installing a Sonnet ATA/100 card and 60 gig IDE hard drive. Would like to replace existing CD-R with a CD-RW and make this my MP3 jukebox. With built-in RCA sound out, this machine drives my stereo amp.

Should I drive a CD-RW from the Sonnet card, or replace existing SCSI CD-R?

I'll post my ATA/100 - IDE drive experience as soon as I find out if it works.

------------------
Dan/ St. Louis, MO
ddavison@bentonsedg
e.com

lasvegas
12-19-2001, 03:20 AM
The CD/RW drive would not be bootable through the 'C' key if you install an ATAPI (IDE) drive internally. The loss of your SCSI drive would mean that in order to boot from a CD, you would have to have no other System Folders on other drives and boot using Command-Option-Shift-Delete or select the CD/RW from the Startup Disk control panel. Many brands of SCSI CD/RWs are bootable with the 'C' key as long as the SCSI ID is set to 3. My preferred brands that are bootable include Plextor and Sony.

ricks
12-19-2001, 02:36 PM
One thing not mentioned is that CDs, whether burners, RWs ,Roms or DVD are slow enough that you gain nothing when you put them on a faster bus. Buying either scsi or IDE burner will give same actual performance.

Nice thing about having a burner on the ATA100 bus and a CD-Rom on the internal SCSI bus is the copy function, you don't have to make a disk image to copy a CD, Nice!
Rick

lasvegas
12-20-2001, 02:34 AM
The problem though, is that the 8500 only supports one 5.25" half hight bay. Any additional CD drives would have to be external. IDE isn't impossible to run external, but more difficult to accomplish than SCSI.

ricks
12-20-2001, 02:39 AM
Ah, good point. My comment was not very usefull as phrased, thanks for fixin it.
Rick