PDA

View Full Version : How do I determine the slave setting?

franx
12-19-2001, 12:31 AM
A year ago I replaced the original 5400 rpm Quantum 6 gig hard drive in my G3/300 DT with a Maxtor 7200 rpm 30 gig hard drive.

I'd like to add the old drive as an internal slave drive.

But I don't know how to sett the jumpers on the Quantum to slave. Any suggestions? Where can I find that info?

Thanks!

lasvegas
12-19-2001, 03:25 AM
Often, Apple doesn't have the programmable jumpers installed on stock drives. This means that if there aren't jumpers on your original drive, it must be used as a Master drive. It wouldn't effect operation of your computer to change your current drive to Slave and continue to use it as your boot drive.

franx
12-19-2001, 07:55 AM
Thanks lv. Is there a problem connecting the master drive to the slave drive? Then connect the CD and zip? The CD (in this case, DVD) is automatically the master on the other bus, right?

Also, if the master is 5400 rpm, woulld that affect in any way, for example, the ability to capture video on the 7200 rpm drive at full speed?

Finally, the old Quantum drive does have a vertical clip on its far left jumpers -- the two vertically stacked jumpers at the extreme left (out of eight jumper pins all told). Does that suggest the setting can be changed to slave?

ChrisYip
12-19-2001, 03:21 PM
You can only have two devices per IDE bus - one as Master and one as Slave

Check here for jumper settings
http://www.maxtor.com/products/productArchive/default.htm

Dig around for your Quantum drive and you should be able to track down the settings there...

HTH

Chris

lasvegas
12-20-2001, 02:37 AM
Yes. The fact that the jumper pins are present indicate that the drive can be set as Slave. I don't believe it would effect the speed of the drives much either way though. We could find you the jumper settings of the Quantum if you could supply us with the model number printed on the drive.