PDA

View Full Version : iMac rev.B drive upgrade

jira@earthlink.net
03-14-2001, 11:09 PM
I am pursuing several upgrades to my 233 mHz Bondi Rev.B iMac, including the hard disk and would be grateful for any and all info about the swap. Someone referred me to http://www.theimac.com site that lists 25 steps including complete removal of the motherboard to make the exchange. Is this really necessary? Seems that I read somewhere that you can access the hard drive by simply moving the CD ROM out of the way. Don't get me wrong, I can add lower slot low profile RAM in under 10 minutes, but the step by step procedure shown seems a little daunting.

I like what I have heard about the IBM Desk Star ATA/100 45 gig hard drive, and plan to use it in conjunction with the Powerlogix iForce G3 400mHz CPU upgrade and 192 mb of RAM. The RAM is done, and I'll install the new hard drive only after the G3 upgrade is in and running well. I am a little confused by the fact that there seems to be two different 7200 rpm 45 gig drives in the GXP75 family with identical specs except for price. I would appreciate any, and I mean any, comments, warnings, suggestions or friendly advice.

Thanks,

John

magician
03-15-2001, 04:29 AM
well, I swapped my son's IDE drive in his iMac 233 a couple years ago, and I absolutely needed the Service Source to get it done. I've been tearing Macs apart for years. If I hadn't had the manual, forget about it. It is not for the timid. Rather than use the guidance on that website, only, also make sure you consult the Apple TIL guidance posted on the Apple website. They have what appears to be the actual Service Source tutorial posted there. If you can handle a screw driver, you'll be fine. The Service Source is the "Apple way" to do it, and if I could follow the directions, you should be able to do so, too. Just don't "force" anything. Wiggle. You'll be fine.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Dogbert
03-15-2001, 03:37 PM
I'm not an iMac guy, but I think I can answer the question about the two different GXP75 Deskstar drives. One is probably the ATA66 version that I bought a couple months ago, and the other is the ATA100 that's almost everywhere. I'm very happy with the ATA66 version, and wouldn't mind finding another one out there somewhere... Especially if it's cheaper...

MacWoman
12-13-2001, 12:45 PM
I would like to know if an iMac rev B can handle a 40 gig drive as is? I have never installed one before.
Does it need any special way of partitioning it?
Someone I am helping already bought the drive, I just hope it's the right thing.
What kind of drive should be bought? (RPMs, company, etc)
Thanks.

unclemac
12-13-2001, 06:13 PM
I just happened to swap a drive in a rev b yesterday (first time), and it was'nt that bad. I reviewed some instructions about a week before, but did not have them in front of me while I did it. It is still fresh in my brain, so let me know if you hit a specifc snag.

I thought I read somewhere that the boot partiton could not be more than 8 Gigs. . . I think maybe a README in DRIVE SETUP on an OS 9.1 disc? Don't quote me - I installed a 6 Gig drive, so I did not pay too much attention . . .

Anybody else?

lasvegas
12-13-2001, 09:07 PM
MacWoman: If you intend to install MacOS X on your iMac, you want to divide the new drive into two partitions. The first should be set to 8000MB to assure that it is within the first 8GB of the drive. This is the partition that your System software should be installed. The second partition can be the rest of the drive and can be used for anything and everything else.

TZ
12-14-2001, 11:03 AM
The 75GXP still being sold? Hasn't the 60GXP been out almost a year (Feb anyway), and I've seen OEM prices and retail. Retail includes manual, IDE cable, and the rest, and although when (not IF) there is trouble replacing due to failure, IBM would probably warrant either, the difference in price isn't that much.

I have not seen an ATA/66 drive listed from IBM for awhile. 34GXP maybe? I had a 22GXP which was slow, stable, problem free. Any 7200 rpm 2MB cache is fine.

One volume for 9.1/9.2 and another (3GB is fine) for OS X, and one for all your files. Having a separate volume just for OS 9.1 helps so you can repair, switch boot, etc. You can still install 9.2 onto the OS X volume for use by Classic.

Baggy
12-15-2001, 08:27 AM
Swapping the hard drives is a cinch - takes around 10 minutes to do.
Slide out the tray from the back, take out the cd and swap the drive, you will need to undo a few screws but they are obvious. the most difficult part is hooking the spring back into place on the cd when you put it back - just take careful note of where everything is before you take it out.
8gb partition is an absolute must - caused havoc when I didn't do that first time around. Split your drive up into at least 3 partitions, preferably 4 then you can play around as you wish. Make one of the partitions 1gb and install a basic system, say 9.1, so that you have a completely virgin system on there for a fallback if you get other problems - do not install or save anything else on this partition!
Have fun!!! http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif