PDA

View Full Version : Adding 2nd IDE HD to a graphite G4

Ednor
12-10-2001, 07:02 PM
I've got a first-generation G4, a graphite 350 MHz. It came with a 10G HD, which had a melt down. The seller has ordered and will install a 20G HD under warranty, which is very cool. Now, in the meantime, I've hooked up a 4G HD (the old one from a beige GE desktop). I reformatted it and installed software and it is the current startup drive.
My question is this: what do you suggest for configuring these two hard drives together? (That is, the 20G and the 4G). What I'd like to do is use the 4G as the startup drive, and put all my applications on it. I want to use the 20G mostly for storage. The cable does have two sets of connectors, but how do I set the jumpers? So many questions! Thanks in advance for any advice.

ricks
12-10-2001, 11:47 PM
Ednor,
The answer to the setup depends on the quality of the two drives. Your G4 has a Ultra DMA66 bus. You should use at least an ATA66 drive to get the full benefit of that bus. I would make the faster drive the last drive on the cable and set the jumpers on it to master. I would make the slower drive slave and put it in the middle of the cable.

I would also make the faster drive my main drive with the system folders on it. I would use the slower for storage.

Faster drives are determined by two main things.
1: What specification ie;ATA33 or ATA66 or ATA100.
2: How fast the drive spins. The faster it spins usually the faster it transfers data.

Hope that helps.
Rick

Ednor
12-11-2001, 12:41 PM
Thanks, Rick. I'll investigate the drives to see what I'm dealing with, and connect them accordingly. Here goes nothin'.