PDA

View Full Version : G3/300DT -Want to add 2nd hard drive

Webester
12-05-2001, 01:45 PM
I want to add a second IDE hard drive. ( a Western Digital 25 gig) ...and i am ready to do it - but ...will my existing ide cable support my floppy, zip, cdrom, current 6gig drive AND the new drive?
I will give up the zip if I must.
How do you decide what will be master/slave?
From what I have read and determined my G3 desktop is a rev 3, Rom revision: $77D.45F2 and can support a second hard drive.

ChrisYip
12-05-2001, 02:47 PM
Take a look at your cabling... The IDE cables will only have two available connectors (aside from the one that goes to the motherboard. So if you have one open, then you can put one in) ...I *think* you could get one more IDE drive on there if your ZIP is on the second IDE bus (I think that it's likely set up so that your main drive and CD-ROM are on one bus, and the ZIP is on the second)..

Webester
12-05-2001, 09:44 PM
thanks chris, your reply gave me the courage to open r up. Found the original drive on a cable by itself same with the floppy drive. but the CD and Zip were together. I took the Zip drive out and the new hard drive went right in. Used drive set up, initialized it and it apears working. Now, do i have the courage to select it as my startup drive?

ricks
12-05-2001, 10:12 PM
Webester,
I am not sure that performance will be acceptable with your second drive attached to your ATAPI CD-ROM bus. I believe that you want that drive on the same bus as the other hard drive. Performance is way limited on the ZIP/CD bus.

Since yours is a revision3 you can install the new drive on the same cable as the original hard drive and set its jumpers to slave. After installing your system you can come back and switch them to master with the old drive as slave. Master should be on the end connector.

If your cable does not have a availiable connector you can get one from any computer supply/repair shop.

Rick

Webester
12-08-2001, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the reply guys. Now I have more questions. Can I get the cable at any PC store? I would need an additional sled to move it to another location. same PC store?
I am new to this, only other time I've opened up a mac was to add ram.
and...where can I find information about partioning this new drive and using it with the old one?
I've already made 4 partions but can reformat if necessary.

Thanks again...webester@maclaunch.com

lasvegas
12-11-2001, 03:41 AM
If you don't have a duel drive tray already where your current drive is, you could mount it on a single drive tray along side of it. Any standard IDE cable should have sufficient length to connect the drives side by side.

Currently, with Extended format (HFS+), I don't see any benefit to partitioning except for use with PhotoShop as a designated Scratch partition. You don't save any drive space by partitioning. You might like using it to organize the system in a fashion you're more comfortable with.

Many drives that Apple included with Macs didn't have jumper pins installed. If there are no jumper pins, the drive is "hard wired" as a Master drive and cannot be changed to Slave mode. If jumper pins are there, feel free to change them if you wish. Be sure though that one is Master and the other is Slave.