PDA

View Full Version : ATA/IDE or SCSI??

kjg
12-02-2001, 12:46 AM
I have a Beige G3 Minitower 300, 2 internal SCSI drives, Zip, floppy. My objective is to increase internal storage from 7 GB (4 +3) to 60+GB. Apparently, the built in drive is a SCSI drive (bus 1), with the additional hd and Zip on SCSI bus 0. The CD-ROM is the only drive showing on the ATA bus. I have 2 ATA connectors, one supporting the CD and the other not in use. Can I add an ATA hard drive to the unused ATA connector? I have ROM Rev. A, but as I understand it, and as my tech info document states, each of the ATA connectors will support ONE separate drive. Other alternative is to remove one of the SCSI drives and install a larger capacity SCSI drive.

ricks
12-02-2001, 03:11 AM
According to the Apple Develper notes the extra IDE connector is for a hard drive. That device should be the master on its bus. It is not the same bus as the ATAPI bus that the CD is on. You can also add another SCSI device with another ID number on it. Same difference.

If your full up on the bays and you have to remove something I would say it doesn't matter whether you go SCSI or ATA.

If you want any increased performance adding a SCSI PCI host card like the Miles2 or an ATA100 or 133 host card would increase your drive performance by at least 3 fold over the internal buses when installing current generation drives. Really easy and fairly cheap with some ATA host cards including the cables.

Rick

[This message has been edited by ricks (edited 02 December 2001).]