PDA

View Full Version : IDE disappears when booted from CD

Gwlister
11-08-2001, 05:40 PM
Needing some help fellas. I have a Rev A beige G3/233, I have recently swapped out the 4 gig HD with an IBM Deskstar 75 gig IDE drive. I initiallized it, installed OS 9.1 and everything seemed to be fine. I do have two quirks to it though. If I boot from a CD (Nortons, Mac OS, etc..) the drive does not show up at all. I use Drive Set-Up on the MacOS CD and it cannot find the drive. I go back to booting from the drive itself and I have to restart it twice before it finds the drive again. The first boot I get the question mark - cant find the system folder flashing icon. Reboot again then it sees it and loads just fine. The only thing I can think of that MIGHT have anything to do with the problem was when I initiallized the drive. It gave me the options of formatting it as a Mac Standard drive or Mac Extended drive. I chose the Extended as that was what Drive Setup defaulted to when I chose that drive. When I first went to initiallize the drive it did show up in Drive Setup just fine. After I installed the OS, thats when the problems started. I've zapped the PRAM, rebuilt the desktop, etc... but I still have the problem. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

ChrisYip
11-08-2001, 06:08 PM
Perhaps a jumper problem - is it set for Master or Slave? - should be the former...

mario
11-11-2001, 10:57 PM
IBM has problems with this drive. Please check this site:
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,59943,00.asp

Good luck,

Mario