PDA

View Full Version : What upgrade drives for B&W rev.1

Roberto
11-06-2001, 06:06 PM
I have one of the original G3 B&W rev.1 machines with the slow CMP chip. I would like to replace the original 6GB IBM ATA drive with something larger, at least 20GB, before I install OS X and 9.2.1. But I have read about corruption problems from today's fast drives.
What drives have proven to be good fits with these rev.1 computers?

ricks
11-06-2001, 08:25 PM
Hey Roberta,
The data corruption problems in the Rev1 was from a fault in the IDE controller on the motherboard. You best bet if your going to upgrade and want reliability is to install a PCI card to replace that. You will be amazed at the speed difference if you go to a ATA100 or ATA133 card. Your motherboard bus is ATA33, lots slower!

You can also go with the more expensive, higher quality SCSI by doing the same thing, PCI host adapter and cables and drive(maybe a terminator also)

If you go with a ATA card make sure you get a good cable. If the card comes with one it's probably fine. Any of the ATA drives sold by the Gurus will serve you and you can leave your current drive in place, with no loss of performance, as extra storage.

Rick

Roberto
11-07-2001, 01:58 PM
There must be some ATA drives available that would work without resorting to additional hardware. Slower drives would be fine. I just need more space.

ricks
11-08-2001, 12:13 AM
Roberto, you know, I read through 50 or 60 user upgrades on the XLR8 data base and I can't find anything that doesn't work. Find the drive you want and hook it up. You can review the whole data base yourself at XLR8yourmac.com.

Rick

Roberto
11-08-2001, 12:59 PM
Would a Firewire drive be an alternative, or are they just ATA drives in an enclosure?

Can you boot into OS 9 and 10 from Firewire drives?

Thanks again

ricks
11-08-2001, 07:47 PM
Sorry, you won't be able to boot from a FW drive. I am not sure what the performance would be be comparing the same drive installed FW vs internal IDE bus. Somebody else will have to answer that.
I'd consider the external enclosure to be additional hardware, the best way to install extra drives IMHO is internal, with host cards if appropriate.

Rick

Roberto
11-08-2001, 08:12 PM
ricks:
Thanks for all your help.