PDA

View Full Version : Trying to add IDE to a SCSI G4

BoB-666-BoB
11-04-2001, 08:55 PM
A Mac newbie here.

I just bought a G4 500 AGP. It came with an 18gig SCSI harddrive. I just picked up an 60gig IDE and set it all up. I tried setting the IDE drive to slave, master, and even the 'default' one, but I still can't get the DISC SETUP thingy (the thing on the OS 9 disc) to recoginise it. It just shows the Mac OS 9 disc and the SCSI drive.

I've tried every possible combo I can think of and still no dice. I'm not a Mac guy so I know close to nothing about it, or any of the tricks you guys might be able to help me with.

I'm trying to run Final Cut Pro 2 so I need the 60gig drive as my scratch disc.

Is there any way to even find out if the drive is getting correct power and such? Any help would be !MEGA! appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys.

dragon_x
11-04-2001, 09:35 PM
Does the Apple Drive Setup software even see the new IDE/ATA drive?

Boot with the case open, do you hear the new HD spin up? Are there any LEDs on the HD that would indicate it has power.

I know some people have BIG issues with IDE/ATA drives on 'SCSI' Macs that have built-in IDE/ATA controllers. I have not seen any issues with G4s though - only G3 systems.

SCSI Probe wont work http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif You need a bus probe - IntechUSA has one included with their HD drivers and they might have a free trial period. Does the Apple System profiler see it at all?
Are any of the drive pins bent, broken or missing?
Even if there is a firmware issue the Mac should AT LEAST be able to see it.

You could try plugging it in to another computer.

GL

------------------
To boldly go where no english professor has gone before! -)

BoB-666-BoB
11-04-2001, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the quick reply dragon.

I'm going to boot it up right now with the case open to see if I can hear it spin up. There are no LEDs on it. The SCSI drive is a Seagate Cheetah.

Not sure what a SCSI Probe is however. Didn't check the system profiler, D'oH!!! Man, I'm going to check all this right now!

Thanks again man.

BoB-666-BoB
11-04-2001, 10:09 PM
Hmm...

If I stick my hand on the top of the drive, I can't feel anything at all. If I pinch the metal brackets I think I feel a tiny tiny bit of vibration. I can't hear anything because the MASSIVE fan is right next to it...

In the "Profiler" it shows the the main HD connected to the SCSI board. There really isn't a IDE slot on this menu at all, so I'm not sure where this information would appear. Everything I have in it is shown on the branch-y graph thingy. No IDE spot though.

Is it possible that its something simple like I have the ribbon in backwards? From what I can tell, the SCSI can't be set to master/slave or anythihng, it's just there. Should I change the SCSI ID to something else??

Thanks again... I'm still desperate for a solution though. ;-)

ChrisYip
11-05-2001, 12:29 AM
SCSI devices aren't set to master / slave - that's only for IDE drives - the SCSI's have ID numbers (i.e. you can put, depending on the SCSI type - up to 15 devices on a single chain whereas on IDE, you can only put two devices - i.e. master / slave)

Couple of things - are you sure the IDE drive is plugged into the IDE controller cable? - I think they are keyed (the plastic connector on the drive, I think, usually has a cut out that mates with the IDE cable.)

Want to double check something - your SCSI drive is connected to a PCI card right?. So that means you should have several ribbon cables free on the bottom of the case, along with the Molex power connectors.

In the Apple Profiler - under the Devices and Volumes tab, you should have a category called "Internal ATA" - is that not there? Your SCSI board should appear under the PCI item list...

Chris

ricks
11-05-2001, 12:37 AM
Don't do anything with your SCSI drive. It will be on an independent bus and will have no effect on the IDE bus.

There should be no way to put the cable in wrong. It has a tab on the top that lines up with a slot in the drive connector. The power plug only goes in one way. After the computer is running for awhile does the IDE drive get hot?

Absolutly set up the drive as the master since it's the only IDE drive on that bus.

You probably should check the sockets carefully to make sure a pin isn't bent over, a common problem installing devices. They almost need a magnifying glass to see the little buggers, and they will screw you if they are bent over.

Make sure the connector is completly plugged into the motherboard socket also.

Check that power plug, pins can be pushed back in them to where they won't contact.

When you open Drive Setup, that is where you will see the unnamed drive that needs to be highlighted and then initialized. You can also install the driver for the drive via the pull down menu while in drive setup.

I realize that you probably know this stuff but it's worth it to go over it one more time. Keep at it, you'll figure it out.

Rick

Yeah DIAMONDBACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BoB-666-BoB
11-05-2001, 12:45 AM
Thanks so much you guys. You guys seriously rock for all this help. I think I've narrowed the problem to one simple [and stupid] fact. Apperently I need an 80-conductor instead of a 40-conductor. (Number of wires on the ribbon).

The ribbon I am using has 40 wires and I just read on some site that it requires an 80-conductor. I'd also like this verified by you guys, but first thing after work tomorrow I'm going to buy one of these bad boys and pop it in. This *SHOULD* fix everything.

Thanks again!

ricks
11-05-2001, 01:25 AM
Is the cable that your using the stock Foxcon cable, if so that should be a 80 wire. I don't think that a 40 wire would stop the drive from working anyway, it would only prevent it from meeting the higher spec rates.

The other 40 wires are ground wires that basically wrap around the 40 connected to the pins, almost no way to tell by looking whether a cable is 40 or 80 wire without checking the part numbers.
Rick

[This message has been edited by ricks (edited 05 November 2001).]

BoB-666-BoB
11-05-2001, 01:31 AM
I dunno... I saw a pretty convincing webpage. It compared the 80 and 40... they are significantly different looking when you look at the wires. When I bought the HD I picked up a normal 40 wire ribbon.

Man, I hope you're wrong... really, I do. If the 80-wire ribbon dones't fix my problem, I'm really stuck. I guess I'll know tomorrow. I'll post my results.

ricks
11-05-2001, 02:16 AM
I hope your right too. Believe me when I say though that the Foxcon factory cable looks exactly the same as a previous 40 wire. All Apple cables since the Blue and White came out have been 80 wire, and you may be right that it will solve the problem.

Good Luck, let us know how it works.

Rick

[This message has been edited by ricks (edited 05 November 2001).]

BoB-666-BoB
11-05-2001, 07:32 PM
Thank gawd, it works!! The 80-conductor fixed EVERYTHING!! I'm so ecstatic right now. Thanks for your help guys, I'm off to import some DV footage.