PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive problems on old mac clone

heymaria
10-29-2001, 04:44 PM
We have a Power Computing PowerBase 240 with an IDE hard drive. We've been trying to reformat the hard drive, but every time we try to... the initialization fails. We've tried using Norton Utilities to repair the drive, but it will not recognize it -- or if we get it to recognize it by using "show missing disks"... it locks up. We've tried Disk First Aid, Apple Drive Set-up, Hard Disk Tool Kit, even the Mac "initialize this disk" option -- nothing seems to work.

My guess is that the hard drive is shot, but I wanted a second opinion... and I also wanted to know if you could recommend a replacement drive. We only need a 1-2GB drive... the person who uses it is a student (just learning to use the computer).

lasvegas
10-29-2001, 05:48 PM
You're probably right in your assessment about this drive. You can also replace it with just about any ATA drive! Unfortunately, 1 or 2GB drives just aren't available anymore. On the plus side though, larger drives are very inexpensive!

MacGurus (http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart/showrampage.cgi?idepagesofheck.html) has a 30GB Maxtor drive for only about $135. Even for a beginner, this capacity should be a great asset. Todays games and applications tend to use more and more drive space.

I tell my clients that drive space is like closet space. It doesn't mater how much you have, you will fill them in no time!