PDA

View Full Version : Computer Not Recognizinge Hard Drive

king
10-23-2001, 09:40 PM
Six months ago I installed a Maxtor 60. (not made by Mac Gurus) It worked fine but now it doesn't appear on the desktop and Norton's utilities doesn't recognize it either. My Apple Systems Profiler knows it's there but says, "No volumes mounted" It's still securely fitted to my computer and cables. I'm not sure if it needs to be sent back to the manufacturer for repair or replacement or if there is something I can do. I'm also wondering if Mac Gurus' Maxtor Hard Drives have less reliability issues than other manufacturers.

Luckily I use it for video and am between projects. Not much of value potentially lost. And I'm not sure when the problem occured or why. Happened sometime in the last week.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Michael

lasvegas
10-23-2001, 09:48 PM
What software did you use to initialize the drive? Will that same software allow you to update the driver? Having tried that without success, I would suspect that the partition map is somehow corrupted. I would use Norton Utilities to access and repair the drive. If it doesn't initially see the drive, select Show Missing Disks from the Disks menu.

mactheripper
10-25-2001, 08:16 PM
There is no difference in the Maxtor drives sold by MG and other vendors; however, we do endorse Seagate drives more fervently because they seem to never break. They do have less reliability issues than other manufacturers', and so does most of the gear we sell.

Our stuff doesn't suck. We used to use that as a subslogan, but, would you believe it, the great folks at Bare Bones actually called us and asked us not to. We thought we were doing them a favor.

king
10-27-2001, 03:12 AM
Thanks for the responses guys.

Lasvegas' thoughts led me to the answer. The partition map was corrupted. I ended up reinitializing the drive.