PDA

View Full Version : ATA drive won't mount

ricks
10-16-2001, 10:09 PM
I have a Barracuda that was connected to a ATA133 host card in my B&W. I disconnected from the host and connected to the on mobo ATA33 bus and I can't get it to mount without re-initializing the drive. Is there a basic difference in the different spec'd hosts that make it impossible to cross over?

The drive is set to Master and is the only drive on the bus.

Rick

[This message has been edited by ricks (edited 17 October 2001).]

DHB
10-17-2001, 03:44 PM
You have the usual ATA-in-a-legacy-Mac 'gotcha' in reverse.

Any flavor of ide drive used in ANY Mac when connected via a ATA PCI card will 'look' like, and format as, a SCSI drive. Dirt cheap mega-gigabyte storage for sure.

BUT...

Then, if you hook it up to a "true" ATA controller, such as the on-board controllers on recent Macs, including your B&W (and some older Macs & clones with on-board ide controllers as well) it will NOT work until you re-initialize it...as...surprise...an ide drive. NO need to do a low-level format although a surface scan and/or verify (same thing in some driver kits) won't hurt...unless you're in a hurry.

No free lunch with this scheme. http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Presumably, you already know this, but...
It sounds like you haven't actually done anything to the drive yet...backup what you want to keep...it will go away when the drive is initialized.

ricks
10-17-2001, 09:52 PM
DHB,
I noticed that Drive Setup shows the mobo ATA33 drive as a ATA device and that the drives on the Acard ATA host are SCSI, I knew that the host cards 'mimiced' scsi. I didn't think that went down to the way the data is stored on the drive. Obviously I just didn't think.

The drive was actually backing up another computers drives and has no non-replacables on it, just would have been easier to move the data intact than to rebuild the system folder.

I am now running the B&W on a ATA133 Raid, this really kicks buttinskys compared to the old ATA33 bus. OSX running like a dream.

Thanks for the info, another little fact locked up in my noggin.

Rick