PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha CDRW IDE & VST UltraTek 66

Nemi
10-12-2001, 08:09 AM
I have a Beige G3 w/ a Yamaha IDE CDRW now using Toast 5 Titanium & am considering upgrading the Hard Drive to a Maxtor Plus 40G w/an IDE
card. Would the VST UltraTrek 66 work w/the Yamaha?

trag
10-12-2001, 10:43 AM
Probably. It's hard to be absolutely certain until someone actually tries it. However, e.g., I use a 16X Acer DVD-ROM drive with my VST card. So the VST card is pretty good at supporting ATAPI devices.

However, if you are planning on installing the new hard drive and VST card in your Beige G3, why not put the new hard drive on the VST, but leave the CDRW drive on the built in IDE bus? The CDRW drive is much slower than your built in IDE bus, so you won't loose any performance doing this.

That puts your fast hard drive on the VST card where it can benefit from the added speed, and leaves your CDRW drive on the slower built in bus, because the CDRW isn't stressing the speed of the built in bus anyway.

Nemi
10-12-2001, 10:59 AM
Thanks, I wasn't sure if the VST would speed up the Yamaha, but the way you explain it - sounds like it wouldn't matter. Also didn't realize the VST had only one connection. Has there been any comparison testing done on the VST versus the standard Beige G3 IDE Bus?

Thanks Again

trag
10-12-2001, 03:54 PM
The VST has two connections. That is, there are two IDE busses on the card and each one supports the normal Master/Slave configuration for up to four devices total.

So you could try putting hte CDRW on the VST as well as the hard drive, if you want to. I just figure it would simplify matters to leave the CDRW on the bus it is currently on.

I think there may be some test results in one or more of the articles on xlr8yourmac.com. However, the important fact is that the Beige G3's EIDE supports 16.7 MB/s performance while the VST goes up to 66 MB/s. Because EIDE hard drives may deliver as high as 30 - 35 MB/s there is some real benefit in having the faster ATA-66 performance. Otherwise you'd be limited to the Beige's built 16.7 MB/s.

DHB
10-12-2001, 04:20 PM
Nemi...

Don't misunderstand trag...there ARE TWO channels on the VST eide PCI card.
Each channel uses one cable with TWO connectors.
Thus you can have FOUR devices hooked up simultaneously.

This scheme (one controller, two channels, two devices per channel) is the standard scenario for every PC motherboard currently being manufactured; whether its 'on-board' (most typical) or the controller chip etc. is placed on a PCI card (like the VST card).

The only caveat here is don't mix hard drives with slower devices on the SAME cable; like cd-rw drives. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif You have the luxury of your on-board eide controller and it makes sense to keep the -rw on it, since it is a slow device compared to a hard drive. Then you have the option of adding up to four hard drives to the VST card. Win-win...such a deal. http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/eek.gif

Also...the VST card is one of the few, if not the only one for the Mac, that supports ATAPI devices (ie. cd-rom, cd-r, cd-rw drives).

I think it will probably work with the Yamaha but go to www.xlyr8yourmac.com (http://www.xlyr8yourmac.com) and check out their drive compatibility database. Near the top of the main page are a series of links for various drive interfaces. Such as SCSI, Firewire, and IDE.

Just click on one & when its page comes up click on the link for "Mac Drive Compatibility Database" and pick from the drop down menus> cd-rw, Yamaha, IDE PCI card, etc.

There is also the same link right on the front page but you might want to browse the drive interface pages for reports and benchmark results.

I have two of the VST cards in use and can't praise them enough. I'm using Maxtor and IBM EIDE hard drives and TEAC 516EB cd-rw drives with NO problems at all and excellent performance. It even comes with TWO ata/66 cables (which you can identify by the blue connector on one end).

The Gurus here give excellent service and support as well.

I just wish they offered some awesome T-shirts as well. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Nemi
10-12-2001, 06:43 PM
Thanks "trag" & "DHB", the information answers all my questions & I'm somewhat familiar w/xlr8yourmac's site. However, I'm very impressed with this site, as DHB said-it's a very helpful & can save alot of time & mistakes.

Thanks Again