PDA

View Full Version : iMac Drive Upgrade

jLenker
09-24-2001, 09:22 AM
I'm planning on ordering a new drive for my Rev. B iMac soon, and I thought I'd make sure I have a few things straight before I go and spend $250 of disposable (!) income:

First of all, the drive I've got my eyes on is a Western Digital 100GB 7200RPM Caviar drive. I'm assuming that Mac/PC compatibility doesn't matter with IDE drives, but if I'm wrong, please let me know. Are there any glaring rumors or facts about Western Digital that I should know (industry reputation, drive quality, drive life span, etc)?

Secondly, are there any installation pitfalls I should know of? I've found a few sites with some good instructions for installation, and I'm aware of the problem that early iMacs have with drive partitions (new drives being installed with sizes over 8GB must have an 8GB partition for the System folder and whatnot). Is there anything else I should know?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

lasvegas
09-24-2001, 05:14 PM
Western Digital would work. It tends to be a bit noisier than other brands and I've heard more than a few horror stories associated with them. Personally, I'd be more comfortable with IBM or Seagate. It would work though.

The rule is that the first partition be under 8GB. Since there are between 3 to 7 invisible partitions before your perceived first partiton, you should make the partiton more like 8000MB (192MB smaller than 8GB) to put it fully within the first 8GB of the drives space.

jLenker
09-28-2001, 07:35 AM
Thanks a lot. I ordered the drive yesterday, and it should be here in a few days. Thanks for your advice!