PDA

View Full Version : What to do with IDE hard drive?

NULLphoenix
09-19-2001, 07:23 AM
Hello Gurus!
I've finally gotten around to setting up all my 10k drives in my G3/400 B&W, so now I have only U160 drives inside the tower. I have the factory 6GB IDE hard drive sitting on my desk right now, crying out at me to do something with it. I'm loath to simply let it rot there, so I'm trying to think of what options I have to put it to use. I don't have any other Macs in which it could live, so I'm thinking it might be a good idea to get some kind of external case in which to put it. I've read things about external enclosures for single drives that have both USB and Firewire connectors on them, and such an idea sounds pretty flexible (in case I ever got another IDE drive). My intended usage is probably a tertiary backup drive or archival drive or MP3 drive.

SO, I was wondering if any Gurus have any experience with such USB/Firewire enclosures? Can anyone make a recommendation? Are there things to avoid? Are there better/more preferable/more reasonably priced alternatives? I'd really rather not spend too much money on an enclosure, though from what I've read I'm looking at about $300 for such a monster (hmmm... sounds like a 15k Cheetah to me http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ).

I appreciate any advice anyone could offer.

Thanks for your consideration,
David French
phoenix@null.net

[This message has been edited by NULLphoenix (edited 19 September 2001).]

lasvegas
09-19-2001, 12:38 PM
I've yet to find a USB solution that works reliably for an ATA drive. The last one I tried ended up frying the drive. Go with Firewire only. It's cheaper than the combo enclosures, and proven technology.

NULLphoenix
09-19-2001, 05:47 PM
lasvegas,
Thanks for the reply. I've seen Firewire enclosures running ~$150 or so (links from BareFeats et al.) Have you run across any enclosure that you particularly like? I haven't noticed any that the Gurus endorse, use, or sell (it would be GREAT if Firewire enclosures were sold on the IDE drives page!)

Thanks for your consideration,
David French
phoenix@null.net

ChrisYip
09-19-2001, 08:38 PM
Check out some of the reviews on cases on the xly8yourmac.com site. I picked up a MacAlly enclosure when Buy.Com still sold stuff into Canada but the enclosure became a big empty paperweight when the board blew - one heck of a surface - the caps were all melted..

Chris

lasvegas
09-19-2001, 11:52 PM
Another option would be to locate the old ATA drive on top of the CD drive and run a longer cable to the built-in ATA port in the Mac. You could use a power spliter cable to share the power connection of the CD drive.