PDA

View Full Version : G3 beige233 & IDE

joefilms
08-17-2001, 02:52 PM
I'm looking to upgrade my HD to a 30gig drive. If I'm replaceing the existing one, do I need anything else besides the new drive? Do I need adapters, cables, etc?
thanks in advance

joe
I'm assuming I have revision A

lasvegas
08-17-2001, 06:42 PM
If you're replacing the old and not adding to the chain. No. You can use the very same cable. Be sure to set the new drive to Master mode though. Usually the jumper options are printed right on the drive.

joefilms
08-17-2001, 07:42 PM
will this IDE drive be good for video? I just want to to home videos, and animations.

thanks,
joe

RedPhoenix
08-21-2001, 01:45 PM
If you do DV, it'll probably be enough, tough you might invest in something bigger - DV hogs disk space like crazy.

If you do analog capture, you should invest in something faster...

RP

joefilms
08-27-2001, 12:41 PM
does anyone know what the rpms of the original drives for the G3-233 were?
i want to say my access is faster w/the 7200rpm 60gig HD I just bought from gurus, but it just might be that I don't have everything installed, yet.
I've partitioned it into 3 20gig sections, and will install the apps tonight.

joe

[This message has been edited by joefilms (edited 27 August 2001).]

magician
08-27-2001, 09:04 PM
old drives are generally 5400 rpm.

IDE drives are not generally speed demons, anyway...and you do need to be cautious w formatting utilities. Some will enable DMA modes and some will not. In the bG3, you are pretty much limited to around 16MB/sec or so off the stock circuitry anyway. Which is plenty for home videos, particularly using FireWire.

marrand
09-13-2001, 01:26 PM
Magician: What is DMA mode? How can I tell if it is enabled?
I have two internal IBM IDE's (75GXP 45 GB, and 60GXP 60GB) in Rev.1 G3 desktop powered with Sonnet G3-500, both formatted using the Apple Drive Set up booting up from OS 9.0.4. One of them goes through Sonnet ATA/66. They seem to be very fast, but I have no way of knowing the pump rate (MB/sec). Is there software which measures it? Both are bootable drives, each with OS 9.0.4 installed.

After formatting the 60 GB with Apple utility (one partition), I used FWB softwareČ?to change the driver and configure three partitions. If I had DMA mode, did I lose it after installing the FWB driver?

You mentioned the 16MB/sec limitation. Where in the circuitry is the choke point? I know one can measure speed (Mhz), but am lost when people talk about MB/sec. Is this bus bandwidth?

magician
09-17-2001, 03:49 PM
ok, not sure what all to answer here....you can test your thruput using MacBench 5 or QuickBench from Intech or ATTO Tools. The ATTO utility and MacBench 5 are available free for download on our ftp site (http://www.macgurus.com/graphics/softwarearchive.html). The Intech utility is included w Intech's Hard Disk SpeedTools, currently at revision 3.4.

DMA stands for Direct Memory Access.

whether or not it is enabled will be a function of the circuitry and probably the driver. I would advise using one driver for all drives. Standardize on either Drive Setup 2.03 (ftp://ftp.macgurus.com//ftp/apple_stuff/) or later, or HDT (4.5 (http://www.fwb.com/cs/buy/upgrade.html) is the latest), or Intech HDST 3.4. This last utility has specific settings to support Ultra DMA drives in the Blue and White.

hope that helps?

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

marrand
09-18-2001, 11:15 AM
Magician: thanks. It helped, but your answers raised even more questions. I started a new topic "drivers and throughput", asking more detailed questions, and hoping that someone might be interested in this stuff.