PDA

View Full Version : What are my options ... Beige G3 Desktop

Zu!
08-12-2001, 10:24 PM
Hi gurus and fellow Mac lovers, I have a dilemma I hope some of you experts can give me advice on ..
First off, my exitsing config:
Beige G3 Desktop running with XLR8 G4 466MHz ZIF
Ratoc Firewire/USB PCI card, attached to EZQuest 40GB firewire HDD, Alcatel USB ADSL modem, Canon BJ printer and sometimes a Sony TRV6 MiniDV cam. Occasionally, an external ZIP drive (SCSI) is also switched on, but I intend to throw this stupid thing away soon, what a collosal waste of money.

All add-ons (save the Zip mistake, the BJ and Alcatel) were purchased of the gurus website. Everything's working perfectly fine together.

I've been looking at more upgrade paths recently.

Basically I want to add an internal CDRW drive and hopefully a large 60GB or so HDD. I hope to be able to use IDE for these drives. I definitely have Revision A ROM, so I would not mind purchasing a separate PCI card to accomplish this, but I've got to know how viable these options are.

It *looks* like there's enough space in there for these items, but I can't be sure without having the actual items on hand. I prefer internal cos I really hate wires, and coupled with the external EZquest, BJ, Palm cradle DV cam ... things can get quite busy on my desktop.

Has any member or guru here tried this thing out? Thanks :-)

RedPhoenix
08-15-2001, 11:07 AM
Well, if you have a Rev. A Beige DT, you *will* need an IDE controller card - that's for sure. You could even hook up your existing IDE drive to the card (assuming you have an all-IDE model - some Beige DTs were internal SCSI/IDE hybrids).

For the CD-RW, the only way you'll be able to fit one in is to replace your current CD drive. You can't have two of those in that enclosure, unless I miss my guess.

Zu!
08-15-2001, 10:11 PM
Hi Red,
Thanks for the input. I've heard some news that one could change the ROM chip to a Rev B or C. I do have two PCI slots left (I think) after using up one for the RATOC. I have no idea whether my Beige DT is using a SCSI or IDE harddisk ... how do I tell? I also heard that the IDE cards allow for faster performance as well. Is this true?

My problem with replacing the existing CD drive with a CDRW one is that I can't duplicate disks then. What if I need a copy of a CD for a friend?
Thanks for any help :-)

lasvegas
08-16-2001, 12:30 AM
>My problem with replacing the existing CD drive with a CDRW one is that I can't duplicate disks then. What if I need a copy of a CD for a friend?

Toast allows you to save the disk image and then you can burn the CD from the image. I prefer this method anyway. It prevents the inevitable coaster due to a slight flaw in the original disk.

RedPhoenix
08-16-2001, 09:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Hi Red,
Thanks for the input. I've heard some news that one could change the ROM chip to a Rev B or C. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is correct - I did it in my own Beige G3 back when I still had it. The problem is that you have to *find* a replacement ROM chip in the first place. I bought mine a long time ago from OWC. I don't think they sell them anymore, but you can always ask.

Of course, maybe someone on eBay might sell them too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I do have two PCI slots left (I think) after using up one for the RATOC. I have no idea whether my Beige DT is using a SCSI or IDE harddisk ... how do I tell? I also heard that the IDE cards allow for faster performance as well. Is this true? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Use the Apple System Profiler utility to check what kinds of busses you have. It should be indicated. If you only have one PCI card, then you have two slots left on the Beige G3/DT.

And yes, using an IDE card (the Gurus sell them) will speed up your hard disk, assuming your IDE disk is at least an ATA/66 disk. I don't know if a performance improvement is noticeable on an ATA/33 disk.

As for the CD drive problem, lasvegas gave you the answer - it's a bit of a workaround, but it works.

RedPhoenix

------------------
The Red Phoenix

marrand
09-13-2001, 01:38 PM
If your ROM version (as seen from System profiler) is 77D.40F2, you have revision 1, and will need ATA PCI card to install second internal IDE. If higher revision, then your computer supports master/slave configuration and you can install second IDE without PCI card.