PDA

View Full Version : Dead HD in iMac

Clock Nova
09-10-2001, 07:12 PM
A friend of mine recently hired me to diagnose and repair her iMac. From what I can discern, it appears that the hard drive has experienced a head crash. When it powers up, several loud clanking noises are heard, then it quits. The drive is completely inaccessible when installed in another machine as well. The iMac was bought in march of 2000, so it is not very old. It seems highly unusuall for a HD to whack out this early. Has anyone else experienced this?

Assuming that I must replace the drive (as it is out of warranty) I want to get for her the lowest cost/capacity drive I can find, as she barely used even the 6 GB she had. Can I install a Seagate 20.4GB EIDE ULTRA ATA/100 3.5LP 5400RPM 8.9MS U5 drive in this iMac? At only $77.99, it would certainly meet her needs. If I can get this directly from MacGurus, I would gladly do so, but the smallest drive I can find here is 30GB.

lasvegas
09-10-2001, 07:39 PM
Don't rule out the warranty just yet. Hard drives frequently carry more than a one year warranty even though the computer doesn't. Check with the manufacturer first to see what the warranty of that drive is. If the manufacturer reports that it is an OEM drive (As is likely the case), then contact Apple about a warranty replacement.

Clock Nova
09-11-2001, 12:30 AM
I'll have to check with Apple, I guess. I already checked with Quantum, was referred to Maxor, and was told that the HD was not under warranty. The iMac has already exceeded its one year warranty, but I'll ask anyway. But my original question still stands:

Assuming that I must replace the drive (as it is out of warranty), can I install a Seagate 20.4GB EIDE ULTRA ATA/100 3.5LP 5400RPM 8.9MS U5 drive in this iMac?

lasvegas
09-11-2001, 01:07 AM
Yes. The iMac should have no problem with the Seagate.